Diff Lube Change

My 2004 Durango Ltd. HEMI 4x4 just turned 15K miles, so it was time for a change of differential lube front and rear, according to the Schedule B Maintenance List.

So, I pulled up the required fluid types and amounts from my service manual CD, and checked for TSBs, before ordering 3qt ea. of Severe Gear

75W90 for the front and 3 qt of 75W140 for the rear from Amsoil.

I'm happy to say that the old oil was pretty clean with no nasty chunks. The front went quick and the refill seemed to be about the capacity listed in the SM. I followed the TSB (03-001-04A) and pumped in enough to meet the 3/4" below the fill hole by the "pipecleaner method".

The rear was slightly more time consuming, but uneventful. According to the SM, I should have pumped in 70 oz. But, the level was way below the 7/8" below the fill hole on my 8.25" rear. I kept pumpin until I reached the 7/8" point, but used all 3 qt. of the 70W140 to do it, less an allowance of a few oz. wasted in the bottles and pump. So maybe 90 oz or so.

I triple checked the dipstick level, but I'm still wondering if I overfilled it. I don't think the Amsoil is prone to foaming, so is it a problem? BTW, no leaks seen.

Reply to
Langerhans

Was the vehicle level at the time you filled it? Not parked on a sloped driveway or anything?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

filled on the hoist. I just can't figure out where all that oil went.

Reply to
Langerhans