Differential noise

2000 Dodge Dakota QC 4wd 4.7 auto LS Diff. 110,000 miles.
The LS diff. was replaced several years ago when parts of the "clutches" were found laying in the housing during a routine lube change. The Diff.
appeared to be working normally and made no noise to indicate the failure.
Now, Around town / short trips, no issues. After 5 hours of highway running it gets noisy when turning for a bit, then its fine. I'm guessing that the lube is not holding up to prolonged use / heat.
I'm going to change the gear lube in the morning to Mobil1 LS 75w-90. They claim that no LS additive is required. Should I put some in anyway?
Ski
CigarSki wrote:

Who says the additive is not required?
JAM

Mobil.
From the Mobil1 site:
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.
Well, it all looked good inside, no chunks of metal or anything else on the magnet.
Mobil1 claims not to need the LS additive and its marked as such on the bottle. So I'll give it a shot as-is and see what happens. I can always add the LS add. later.
Wayne Sikorski wrote:

I would go with the manufacturers recommendations. I'll bet they do not include Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube.
JAM
Frank Galikanokus wrote:

From the factory book.
For Traclok differentials, a quantity of Mopar Traclok lubricant (friction modifier), or equivalent, must be added after repair service or a lubricant change.
Fill differential with Mopar Hypoid Gear Lubricant, or equivalent, to bottom of the fill plug hole. 8 1/4": 4.7Pts. 9 1/4": 4.9Pts.
Traclok differential equipped vehicles should be road tested by making 10 to 12 slow figure-eight turns. This maneuver will pump the lubricant through the clutch discs to eliminate a possible chatter noise complaint.
--
Steve W.

Did just that. Smooth as silk. No noise, for now...
Ski