Disposable Jack

I'll call this a cautionary tale.

The jack for my 2002 Ram 1500 just broke while in use. It's second use. Get yourself a decent bottle jack and stash it in the cab somewhere. I will not replace this jack with another identical Dodge jack, it's a poor design, weak and hard to use.

Thankfully: I was on my driveway when it broke, not on the side of the road. It rolled very slowly forward - I was behind it. Still damn scary! It came to rest with the hub on the inside rim of the spare, and didn't bend anything. (don't have to buy a brake rotor!) My neighbor has a floor jack I can borrow. (I know, I need to get my own!)

Reply to
Dave Moulton

I hate factory supplied jacks... I bought 3 "compact" floor jacks at Walmart for a total of about $90 and keep one in the garage and one in each truck... The problem with a bottle jack is that you don't always have enough clearance to get it in place, especially with a flat lowering the truck.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

And the other wheels were chalked with what ? When in own driveway I'd go as far as jack stands... ron

Reply to
Ron

I have had no problem with mine but have only had to use it twice. Then again, they may have changed it since 97.

Reply to
TBone

No matter what the color, I don't think chaulk (chalk?) would do much to hold a vehicle.

Wheel chocks, on the other hand, would be a very good idea :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I agree! Chock it up to experience..... sorry... couldn't help myself!

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Heh heh... I almost chaulked on my iced tea reading that! :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

beats drawing a line in the sand, anyway...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

hahaha - I had a bucket of my son's chalk handy at the time - is there a color that works better than the others?

(Bought myself a nice shiny scissor jack and I have plenty of rocks, lumber, etc to use for chalking, er, chocking.)

Reply to
Dave Moulton