distributor replacement

I'm currently trying to change out the distributor on my '78 Dodge D200. The problem arises because my dad has jerry-rigged the hell out of this truck. It originally had a 360, but now it has a rebuilt

318. The current distributor is electrical and the one I'm putting in has points. Is there anything special I have to do to make it work with points or will this distributor work fine. It also appears that the electrical distributor has some sort of extra connection that the points one doesn't. Any advice would be appreciated...
Reply to
geminnm10

Just a quick question, why would you replace a modern electronic distributor with a POS points type? The two connectors indicate that the current one may be a "lean burn" distributor which does not have a mechanical advance IIRC. A points type distributor is not a direct swap and AFAIK, will not work with any of Chryslers electronic ignitions so you would basically have to remove the entire electronic ignition which in my opinion, would be a mistake.

Reply to
TBone

On Apr 16, 5:35=EF=BF=BDpm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: =EF=BF=BDIs there anything special I have to do to make it work

Keep the electronic distributor. I upgraded my 72 318 with an electronic distributor. Best thing I ever did. Never failed an emission after that and I kept it for 20 more years and 200,000 more miles. Always started with a bang. Always lots of power and speed. So get hold of the wiring diagram and keep the distributor. Lots of parts available.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Oh so you're the guy that made me crap my pants every morning. I see.....

Bob

Reply to
Bob M