Dodge CTD vs Dodge 360 gas

Page 1 of 3
I have a 26-5c Arctic Fox 2006 5th Wheel on order, due end of October. I visited the dealer today and found he has a 2005 model sitting in his inventory. He told me that the previous owner had a 360 Dodge Gas truck and
had problems pulling this unit. Frankly this scared the blazes out of me. My truck is a 97 - 3/4 ton CTD 12 valve. I know the truck has 180 HP and 420 ft lbs of torque. It's an auto. transmission and I don't intend ever using the OD feature with this new trailer. I know nothing about the power of a 360 Dodge vs my truck. Do I need to be worried?

Yes.... I will never pull anything with a gas motor again. Had an 02 HO CTD sold it and got the Hemi... LOL... I now have a 04 HO CTD and I will never go back to gas...
Sledneck wrote:

I have towed with gas for years and I have no plans of changing now. never had any problems if they are properly geared for the load. I like the quietness of a gas motor and I am not found of the oder of diesel fuel or exhaust. I do work around diesels though and I have a 19k dozer sitting in my yard now for a job this weekend. (still do not like the smell though)
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

well, i am on the opposite end. i towed with gas for years because i listened to all those people who hate diesels. finally bought my first diesel about four years ago. there is no comparison. not only do i like the diesel better as a daily driver, but when you get to towing the diesel shines. i am not a techy guy and rely on others here for the technical answers, but from a drivers perspective, i can not imagine anyone that would tow with a gas motor anymore.
thenewguy wrote:

They have their place but not in my driveway, again heir edge is over played but detriot no offering proper ratio options with gas motors like they did years ago. When you gear a gas and diesel the same way, the gas will loss every day and it is that mind set that give the oil burner its big jump. BTW gas is 2.71 here and diesel 3.34and you have to get over 20% better MPG, just to break even with fuel cost with a diesel. A friend of mine bought his first oil burner and he is starting to have some second thought now a that extra payment is sinking in AND he is paying more for fuel too.
----------------- www.thesnoman.com

What would you feel are the optimum gear for a gas and a diesel? When you decide that, perhaps would you give the results of MPG, both loaded and m/t of the two trucks.

Here in MA, diesel and reg are the same price 2.79, at least it was yesterday
Roy
Roy wrote:

I will not argue the MPG aspect because diesel has a edge because of higher compression ratio needed for it to run also yeilds higher thermodynamic efficency (auto makers and gas truck owners are hung up on 87 octane so they cannot raise CR ratio higher to boost efficency) and the fuel has a higher energy content so no surprizes here. As far as best ratio for a gasser that depends on the load and the engine and there is not blank rule but it is not a 3.55 or 3.73 like some think. ANother edge you have with diesels as shipped is that they operate at or very near their peak VE (Volumetric Efficency, which is also its torque peak) when cruising where as a modern gas motor usually peaks past 3000 RPM and some as high as 4000 RPM (not good for a tow motor). Like a oil furner a gas motor will use the least amount of fuel per HP hour produced when working hard but most are hung up with lower RPMs and efficency drops and MPG sucks.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

So when running your gas engine at 4,000rpm loaded your longevity is what about? My Cummins is somewhere in the area of 250-300,000. So, what are the advantages to the gasser? Let me help ya, there are none. Well, personal preference is one.
Roy

Not long since experience tells me that at that RPM, the water pump is cavitating.

Testify!

not that much difference in price around here, but my ctd gets much better mileagge than my dodge 360 ever got in its best wet dream. anyway, to each his own i guess and again, i am debating the technical merits, mine are just comments from someone that has driven both, used both as daily drivers and towed the same loads with both. if you think a gasser is better..................well, then drive a gasser.

My main experience with TD's in pickups is from RV trips with friends... Lots of comparison over the CB's about speed/rpm/etc and IMO, TD is the way to go if you tow a lot...
Last trip that I remember was about 400 mile round trip, our 360 1/2 ton gasser pulling 6,000 pound travel trailer and our friends in a ferd 3/4 with TD pulling an 11,000 5th wheel... We were cruising at a little over 60 and or rpm was about 2,700.. his was about 1,600 if I remember right... I know it was much lower than ours..
He averaged 13 mpg on the trip, we averaged a little over 8 mpg.. Not enough for us to justify a new truck because we're weekend warriors, but the difference when you do a lot of towing can be dramatic...
Our "test" was on flat freeway, I won't talk about the difference in speed and rpm on grades :(
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 08:33:15 -0700, mac davis

that is pretty accurate. my 360 averaged about 14 around town, and about 7 towing (heavy load). on a highway trip i got about 15, maybe 16 with a wind.
my ctd gets 15 around town, 21 or 22 on a highway trip and anywhere from 10 (uphill pull) to 13 (flat pull) towing, but my trailer is heavier now.....probably around 11k.
my ctd is a 3500 and i really like the feel of that, the way it drives, a lot better than the 1500 gasser. it is an '03 so it isn't too noisy. i just like the way the ctd drives a whole lot better than the gasser.
TheSnoMan wrote:

What the heck??? Do you drive in reverse all the time? How is it you're smelling the exhaust so much?

How about sitting in traffic or even parking it and god forbid you think about others on the road.

Is he considering "others" when he's doing the job with a vehicle that uses twice as much fossil fuel, at a higher level of refining to boot? I, personally, am proud of my contributions to the environment by using a vehicle that makes far more efficient use of our precious, dwindling, holy-crap-we're-gonna-run-out-tomorrow limited supply of long-chained hydrocarbons. And, given that carbon is the building block of life, I figure contributing a little here and there into the lower atmosphere is only promoting that life.
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:32:13 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

lol. good answer.

uses
If you really believed that, then what are you doing with that V10 and does you job require the use of those trucks?

Better that I keep it and use it occasionally, in fact sparingly (re: pretty much when my diesel is immobile due to one of my various 'projects') rather than let it fall into the hands of some eco-enemy, who will no doubt gallavant all over the north-east countryside, spewing it's billionths of tons of pollutants on the unsuspecting lichen and tree moss indiginous to the area.

Damn...I wish I could "gallavant" around again..............sigh
Denny

Oh, so sue me for not using the damn spell-checker :)