Dodge CTD vs Dodge 360 gas

Page 2 of 3
:)
Wow ... here you go getting passionate again.
Being a tree hugger myself, I had to think long and hard about owning a diesel since they are capable for producing more pollution than a gas
engine. However, I do believe that bio-diesel is the future of diesel fuel. Which, so far, has very promising stats when it comes to pollution. I think that we will be able to start using it within the next year, here in Dallas.
http://www.dfwbiodiesel.com/biodiesel.html
We, as a nation, are in the process of rounding the corner, finally, on alternative fuel vehicles. Until that becomes the mainstream, we are bound by our own ignorance (lack of public transportation in most cites and urban sprawl requiring long commutes).
However, the future is bright compared to 25 years ago.

Your technical sense of humor is always good for a laugh. However, it isn't the loss of moss that chaps my ass. It's when I coast over a hill at 190 and Midway and I see a greenish-grey ring surrounding the city. That's not good for anything or anyone.
Craig C.
snipped-for-privacy@metronet.com wrote:

The newer diesel engines (from Europe and Germany in particular) are really quite clean running, and on a long ride, give better fuel economy than even the hybrids that are becoming all the rage.
The [German] diesel has lost out to the hybrid [Japanese] in the push for higher mileage vehicles. Hybrid probably has the edge in lower pollutants, but the new, small, turbocharged diesels aren't bad at all! Combine that with a cleaner burning biodiesel fuel and one seems to have a winner.
SMH

Nope. The CTD will pull that no problem.
--
Max

Yes, be very worried.
Every time you encounter a grade while pulling your trailer with your CTD, you run a very high risk of running the gassers over. ;-)
aarcuda69062 wrote:

You should have no problems but even a 360 properly geared would pull it okay. It is likely that the person that pulled it with a 360 had a 3.55 axle ratio and it would tow poorly on hills with that and a gas 360.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
aarcuda69062 wrote:

I have a '96 single axle 1 ton, CTD extended cab, long box, auto with 3.55 axle and carry an 2000 lb truck camper which is like driving a billboard. Only once have I taken it out of OD. I get sick and tired of gassers than won't pull over into the 25-35 mph lane. I am quite sure that the 18 wheelers do to! My wife wants to move so I told her, no problem, pick a site, get a big chain and I will haul the house to where you want! :) And your truck has more power. LJB

I hear ya! (not sure that SnoMan gets it though...)

I have a 92 W250, 360, 5 speed, 4X4 w/4.10 gears and a 04, 2500, CTD, 6 speed, 4X4 w/3.73 gears. The Diesel will out pull the gas truck with out trying. And it gets better mileage pulling a 6,000 pound trailer than the gas truck gets empty. GM has a 650 ft. pound Diesel now. Can't wait to see Dodge's response to it:)
Snowman needs to drive a new Diesel and then tell us about it.
Al

Got a 95 Dakota 4X4 club cab with a 3.9 auto and 3:55 gears and a 97 2500 club cab CTD auto, 3:54 gears, the CTD gets better mileage than the Dak even when the 2500 has my 'cuda hitched behind it on a trailer (guessing 5000# tow weight)
The thing SnoMan is forgetting is that his gear ratios ain't worth diddly when pulling a loaded trailer up a mountain. No way in hell the gears are going to compensate as the air gets thinner.
My wish list has DaimlerChryCo offering a 4 cylinder turbo diesel in the Dakota. Hell, a NA diesel would get my interest!

me too and i dont see why they wouldnt. they have the liberty crd.... unless that would make way too much sense.

You shouldn't have any problems. My father towed a 12,000 lb fiver all over the country for years with a 92 -3/4 CTD 12 valve/auto tranny with no problems whatsoever.
Greg
Thanks for the advice and comments. Believe me, I feel a heck of a lot better after reading these post.

IMHO, if you can't pull it with your CTD, it shouldn't be pulled...
I have the 360 gas engine and would guess that you'd need about 2 1/2 of them to equal the TD, and we pull a 28 foot, 6,000 pound trailer with it... YMMV
03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
mac davis wrote:

No you just need better gearing. Tall gears that some pickups come with really can cripple performance. While a 3.55 or 3.73 might worlk well with a oil burner, you need a 4.10 or 4.56 to get the best out of a gas motor in a heavy pull because it has a differnet power curve.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

and
me.
and
ever
power
them to

also i feel you should note he said the owner of the "other truck" felt there was a problem. you can take 5 people off the street and put them in the exact same truck pulling the exact same trailer and get 5 differnt reports as to how it performs.
atleast thats been my experiance.
chris

Christopher Thompson wrote:

This is true because some think it is normal or okay to tow in second gear on interstate hills while others do not. Myself I do not consider using second gear on a interstate hill a viable option.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Not for us, Sno.. it pulls ok when we need it to, and it's also a daily driver... the 14 - 15 mpg on trips and maybe 11 in town are bad enough with the 3.55.. *g*
mac davis wrote:

You need a 3.55 with a diesel because of its limited RPM range so that does not mean much. The false edge that oil burner gets towing is that some people have a mental block about deeper gear ratios with a gas motor. The though of a 4.56 with a small block scares them off but OD takes it down to about a effective 3.2 or so. You can tow some very serious weight with a gas motor and a 4.56. Heck I drove a 427 powered 20 sp triaxle dumptruck in the later 70's while attending college. It weighed 20k empty and 60 k loaded. It was pretty perky empty for it size and could still hit and hold 60 to 65 on faily flat ground hauling 20 tons with its "weak" gas motor. It is all in the gearing. BTW I used to average about 5 MPG with it and about 7 to 8 MPG with a C60 single axle dump with a 10 speed and 366 hauling 8 tons or so. My 2000 SRW K3500 does not see much daily use but it averages about 13 around town and 16 to 17 on the road. DUring the winter when loaded with salt and plow I average about 9 or 10 overall. It is long paid for and if I repolaced it tommorrow it would be with another gas truck (Not planning to for a few years at soonest though), with money saved on cheaper truck I get and keep some econoboxs for most daily chores and the big iron last a lot longer and the fuel saved pays for the econobox too. So rather than have a truck with 100k plus after five years, I have one with 30 or 40k and and a paid for econobox for same money or less.
--

www.thesnoman.com

not worried, but a little concerned. i pulled about that same weight with a 360 gasser and was just not happy. at least you have a 2500, mine was a 1500 and the weight was just too much for the rear end. it swayed all over. the problem with the weight and a 2500 is discussed all the time over at tdr, everyone has their own opinion. i think you will be ok, but you will probably be over the rating of the truck. if i remember right, the 2500 is 8800 lb, maybe 9000. your truck is probably around 7200 to 7400, so you have about 1500 to 1800 pounds to stay within the rating dodge gives you. you addd what you put in the trailer, propane, water, the pin weight of the truck, you and your passengers, etc., and you are probably over. i don't think that is a big deal and the truck will be fine, but for peace of mind you may want to look at a 3500 srw, which gives you another 9900 pounds rating.
now on the tranny. my first ctd had the 47re, which may be what you have. i think you are over the ability of that tranny to tow for any period of time. that tranny was the weak spot in my '01 ctd. can't tell you haw many people i meet that have the 47re that have had to rebuild the tranny several times. in late '03, dodge went to the 48re and that is what i have now. it is a huge improvement and i havve had no trouble towing 11k with it.
the 12 valve does pull good though, especially at lower rpms. i talk to some people that like it better than the 24 valve. you could upgrade the tranny to ats or dtt and then spice up the engince with some mods.
btw, the fox is a great fifth wheel. i didn't get one but as i looked around i found no one that didn't love theirs. they are made in oregon.