Dodge CTD vs Dodge 360 gas

Page 3 of 3

A nice compromise is to get the 2500 and put a good set of air bags in... They boast the load rating (but not the max tow rating) and help you keep the truck/trailer level...
A big plus is that you can take the bags down to 4 or 5 psi when you run empty and you get a nice smooth ride..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 08:34:43 -0700, mac davis

interesting. alot of discussion around here on the air bags. i don't have them but i have friends that do. they all love them. the techs (the guys that install them and a friend that builds custom trucks for towing rv's) say they are cosmetic. they make you feel better but do not increase the payload rating. they caution not to exceed the payload rating of the truck just due to air bags.
looking at the '06, a 2500 diesel auto has a payload rating of 1670 pounds. a 3500 srw diesel auto has a payload rating of 2500 pounds. I can't remember what the '03 ratings were but they were very similar. my brother had a '03 2500 ctd auto. we test drove the 3500 srw ctd auto and we agreed it actually had a better ride. i have had several comments from people that have ridden with me since then that my 3500 rides better than their 2500. this has been discussed over at tdr too, with opinions more varied but all in all the 3500 seems to have the most "best ride" comments. based on that, i paid a couple hundred extra to get the 3500. my new fifth wheel has a pin weight of about 2k, so i am really glad i did now. i imagine that when loaded i am over the payload rating of 2500 pounds, but i would be way over the 1670 pound rating on a 2500 and i would be uncomfortable about trying to make that up with air bags. i see people do it and they seem to get away with it just fine, but i would worry about it. like most things in life, either way probably works out fine, it just comes down to what you are comfortable with.

From what I understand (mostly from this group), the main difference between the 2500 and 3500 is the overload shocks on the 3500? and the tacky cab lights.. vroom, vroom, I'm a trucker..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote: >

You sure? They may increase the load you can safely carry but I don't believe they change the legal load rating at all.

dunno, Jerry... but if I'm towing non-commercial, all I'm concerned with is safety...