Dodge Cummins Diesel Question

Ok...I once owned a '95 2500 with the Cummins and swore I'd never own another Ram. When I traded it off in 1999 it had 100,000 miles on the clock and was on it's third automatic transmission.
I need another heavy duty truck and don't want to ignore the diesels...I'm not much of a believer in V8 diesel engines so that leaves the Dodge with the inline 6.
Has the automatic transmission weakness been rectified? Overall I was satisfied with the pickup other than the bad habbit of the $2800 tranny puking too damn regularly.
Thanks, Lance
Yes, the new 48RE (2003) has been problem free for me and everyone else that I know of. I haven't heard or read one complaint. You could go with a 6-speed manual and not worry about it at all ...
Craig C.
"craig" wrote:

THe jury is still out on that issue. I am not convinced myself. If you plan soem serious towing with a Cummins I would go for a manual tranny. The only really good tranny out there right now with a good track record is the Allison in GM Dmax and 8.1 powered trucks. It is a much better tow tranny with a oil birner and has a deepr first and revesre gear than the Dodge tranny too.
Buy a Ford F-650 you can get the 5.9L Cummins with a Allison

It would seem like things have improved. But if the transmission goes south I wouldn't hesitate to toss in a bunch of DTT parts and be done with it.
Roy

I have the 6 speed just because of the reason you stated, and I love it. It has so much torque, it is not like you need to shift all the time. And besides, I think trucks should all have manual trannys. IMHO.............. And you will love how much power this motor produces over your old one, and so much quieter................. Lots of reasons to look again at Dodge and Cummins......................