dodge cummins electrical

This has happened a few times now, and I am wondernig if anyone else has experienced it. While driving down the highway, usually in high wind, the truck will act like someone reached up and shut the key off. After a few seconds and a "pop" or two on the gas, it comes back to life with no indication, except for some additional lights on the dash, that anything has happened. Usually those lights will disappear the next time I start the truck. Some time ago I got a response from someone that had me unplug something under the hood (I can't remember what now), dry it off, apply some dielectric compound, and plug back in. Any thoughts before I spend a bunch of $$ for someone else to tell me? Thanks,

Reply to
schristensen

Knowing the year of the truck would greatly enhance the likelihood of someone responding with helpful information.

Also - knowing exactly what "extra lights" on the dash light up when this happens might be helpful, too.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Oops, sorry. It is a '98 24 valve, and the lights are the ABS and Brake lights and at times the Check Engine light.

Reply to
schristensen

Okay... was it the two big electrical connectors to the ECM on the driver's side of the engine, down towards the bottom? Or was it the three connectors on the PCM on the passenger-side firewall?

Did greasing those connectors solve the problem for a while, and now it's back? Or are you saying it's always been doing this, regardless?

Do you have access to an OBD-II code scanner? Or, do you have an AutoZone local to you? AutoZone will read your diagnostic codes for free for you. If you can get the codes that are stored in the computer, it will help to narrow down the problem.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

It was on the driver's side, and I can't say for certain that it helped. I do remember the individual said that if it did it again the computer codes should indicate what the issue was. I do not have a scanner and I believe the nearest Autozone is about 220 miles away. I should be able to look around and see if I can get someone to read them for me. Thanks,

Reply to
schristensen

I had similar symptoms on my '98 24V as a result of the rear axle speed sensor being bad. However, mine was only noticeable when I was running on cruise control. Slight engine stumble, torque converter unlock, engine resumes normal running and torque converter would lock up. Felt like a complete engine stall, but only dropped about 3-5 mph.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt