Dodge GPS Question

Page 1 of 2
Got a Dodge MegaCab with built in GPS display. Has video in back for passengers, was wondering if anyone knows a way to get video on the GPS display in front. I know the Garmin street pilot plays video and
wonder if I can get video to work in the Dodge thanks

You may have to do some rewiring. Many states now forbid "video" displays in the front of vehicles as to not distract the driver.
Though this is not "impossible" to do, it is extremely difficult. There is no single video in/out wire on either of the units. So finding the correct wire(s) will be difficult. Once found, running them in easy, however, you would have to make sure that the wire you are using as an input to the front unit will allow for what you are doing with out sending the signal backwards to the nav system.
I can tell you with no hesitation, that when I did this stuff for a living, we would charge a fortune in labor to do something like this and there was absolutely no guarantee that we could in fact make it work. I honestly would not recommend it.
As to state laws, it is not "forbidden" to have the video in front, it is however illegal in most states to have the video in a position that is directly viewable to the driver when said video is on. Check your laws first.

As a follow up to my other post, something that you want to look at BEFORE you start cutting wires and such. See if the unit up front has an aux or secondary video input. If it does that is where you want to run the video from the rear into. On the rear unit will should have 2 or 3 wires that are your video source, One will be a "ground" and one a "positive" signal, if you can locate and isolate these, you can use one half of an RCA cable to run the signal rear to front.
Hope all this helps and answers your question

Um...check your local laws. I'm under the impression that it is illegal to have video in front where the driver can see it.
Laszlo Almasi
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

Them damn liberals always making laws to prevent me from killing myself, my fambly or someone else.
JAM

Those Bastards!!!!

It's not illegal to have it up front, it is illegal for the driver to watch it. Slight difference, but as we know a cop could be an ass any time they wanted too.

states;
27602. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.
It goes on to except a few items and you can see it at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27602.htm
FMB (North Mexico)
Kind of getting off track, I would like to know how to do it or where to get wiring diagrams if possible. I know it may not be legal to use when your moving...thanks for any input

You are not going to find the wiring diagrams, unless you can get your hands on a factory manual. This is something that you will have to figure out on your own, using a digital multi meter. As well as a little cutting and splicing of wires. Like I said in my original post, this is not something I would recommend, I would call some of your local car audio shops, see if any of them have done it, successfully and see if they will provide you the info (if they documented it.) On average, something like this would take us at the shop I worked at hours to find the wire combinations before we could go from there.
I wish you the best of luck, but as I don't have your vehicle in front of me, I can't provide anymore then I have.

I'd thinkit'd be a hard to find item as well. I'm sure an attorney representing someone would include any person or entity that supplies such a diagram as a defendant in case that were the indicated cause of an accident. I understand what you are trying to do....just might be something no one wants to put their neck on the block for.
Laszlo Almasi
Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

I got the service manual for my Dodge Dakota Lemon for $140 from DC. It's not top secret or hard to get.
JAM
Referring to giving specific instructions on how to accomplish th etask he inquired about. Of course there is a way and it can be done. And I doubt the service manual will tell you "how" to do it.
Laszlo Almasi
I know for a fact that it can be done as we did this on more occasion then I cared to when I did this line of work. However, as I have stated, it is not easy, it is time consuming and there is no way to know for sure if it will work as desired (or at all) until you do it.

Ok, but read the last part of the last sentence of what you posted, "or is operating and visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle." That is exactly what I have said. Anyway, as it has already been stated, by you, me and others, the OP does need to check the laws in his/her state.

The way I read it, several requirements need to be met to be in violation of 27602. 1. Person must be driving a motor vehicle, and 2. TV or video monitor (long description above) is operating, and 3a. located at any point forward of the back of the drivers seat, or 3b. is operating and visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.
The portion "or is operation nad visible to the driver while driving" relates to positioning the video monitor behind the front seat such that the driver can view it through his rear view mirror. If the monitor is meeting 1, 2 and 3a or is meeting 1, 2 and 3b, you are in violation.
IMHO, if a monitor is permanently mounted between the driver and the front seat passenger in such a way that it was impossible for the driver to view the 'entertainment', and the passenger was watching a program, and the driver was driving during the day (no nighttime glare), the cop would be an ass (or responding to one) to issue a ticket.
FMB (North Mexico)
azwiley1 wrote:

The ass is the guy watching video while driving. Not the cop that slaps him down.
JAM

azwiley1 wrote:

Nothing.
I wish all states would outlaw talking on the phone while driving.
JAM