Dodge Nitro - Opinions/Experiences

Hi all,

Anyone have any opinions or experience with the Dodge Nitro yet? Anyone heard of a plan or rumor that a diesel version is planned? My lady likes them and is starting to hint.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

I lurk here and in a Dodge forum and it seems to be well received over there. Sales figures just came out too and it's doing well on that front too - so that says something!

I have driven by the dealership and seen a few outfront - looks good in person - like a smaller, manlier Jeep Commander. Nice mid-sized offering imo. I'm hoping to test drive one over the holidays - so I'll post back with my thoughts.

Haven't heard anyth> Hi all,

Reply to
kickbo

I sat in one a few hours ago while my truck was being serviced. I couldn't stand one myself, my size 13.5 shoes made me very uncomfortable in it. I had about 1" room between my left shoe and the brake pedal, and my foot kept hitting the brake pedal when I was working the throttle. I couldn't really move my feet around and after a few minutes, I was done. I kind of liked it other than that. Seems like the footwell is very very small. Try it out, it might not bother you, if you're on the smaller side. I kind of liked it except for the footwell problem.

I was just looking while I waited on my truck being checked out, it's sucking a qt of oil every 600 miles all of a sudden. Running fine, no pings or check engine light, or blue smoke. They checked it over and found no leaks, as expected, since the only thing that ever leaked out of it was power steering fluid due to the hose getting cut somehow. Looked like a rock hit it to me.

So now they are "monitoring" my oil consumption. I think it's going to be a major deal, rings or something. I don't know where it's going, it's got to be burning it somewhere, since the coolant is clear. The tailpipe is clean, rubbing my fingers in it produces hardly anything at all. My garage floor is totally dry.

I moved over to the Charger SRT-8, and that was more like it, but damn it's so ugly, WTF was DC thinking when they designed it. They could have hit a home run, if they made it look ok. I've heard the next Charger will look a lot better, but I have to see it first. A Charger would be more comfortable and somewhat more practical, but unless it's a killer, I plan on getting a Challenger during the second or third year they make them.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

You do know you should take your skis off before you hop in the drivers seat right?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Reply to
kickbo

You must be one of those "podiatrically challenged" people..so sad..

Seriously, it's the tightest footwell I've had my feet in since my sister's ex-fiancee's Opel GT.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

My boss was thinking about one for his wife, but when I told him how tight it was, he crossed that one off his list. He wears size 16 shoes!

I would like to see him get in one, just for the laugh.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Have had my Nitro SLT for about 3 weeks now and I love it! First gotta say that I gave up a Mitsubishi 3000 VR4 for this, and that I really went to the dealership looking to buy a Magnum AWD.

The Magnum I looked at was about $46,000 before taxes. I could hack this no prob, but it just didn't seem like it was my cup of 10w50 "cuz, although it was a big block HEMI, it still didn't have all the "bells and whistles" I wanted - plus they (the Magnums) are all sissy shifters (arrrrrrgh). So, I went for the Nitro at $29,000 which had more amenities, a V-6 (3.7 Liter), and more room, which as I get older and seem to acquire more crap, seems to make more sense.

Things I love about my Nitro:

It's really comfortable. The heated leather seats. The in-dash 6 CD/MP3/DVD player. (My ol' cars had them in the trunk.) Terrific gauge cluster/menu system which tells you almost every thing that one could think of and is really simple to use. Pull out rear tail-gate tray that converts to table for tailgating, camping, etc.. Two AC outlets.

Things that need improvement:

Nothing so far, except my gas mileage is about 14.7 mpg combined.

Let me know what you think. This I the first time (out of about 15 cars I have owned) that I have bought a first year production model - big no no right?

Fair winds and following seas,

SCPO

Reply to
SCPO

I think that the first year for this will be fine - the Caliber did really well as a first year, I think integrating with the Jeep platforms has helped with the quality on that front.

SCPO, what did you th> Have had my Nitro SLT for about 3 weeks now and I love it! First gotta

Reply to
kickbo

Actually it's more that the Jeep Compass is built on the Dodge Caliber platform. Both vehicles are built at the former Bellevadier plant and the Caliber was built first.

Reply to
miles