Dodge PU Problem

While driving my 1999 Dakota,the brake and ABS light came on. Checked level of brake fluid..OK. Firm brake pedal, then my speedometer worked intermittantly.here do I start to look for this problem? Are they related?
82K miles Well kept No prior problems What's the cause???????
I have seen this problem mentioned before, so someone will know the answer for sure. They are related and it seems that it's something that doesn't really make sense. Just keep asking.

Jeep wrote:

I'm guessing it's a bad vehicle speed sensor (VSS).

Thompson says...

How would this cause the ABS and brake light to go on?Are they related (on the same circuit)?

The rear wheel speed sensor is part of the ABS system. It's actually the ABS computer that provides vehicle speed data (as read from the rear wheel sensor) to the PCM, which in turn drives the speedometer gauge. So, when your RWSS starts flaking out, you not only get erratic speedometer function, but the ABS computer sees a differential between the rear wheels and the fronts, and sets a fault (which illuminates both lights).

I just fixed my 99 Dodge pickup of this aliment. The red brake is on all the time with the yellow ABS light. The speedometer starts working when the truck goes at least 15 mph. It was the sensor on top the the front housing on the rear end. A $30 part, one nut holding it on, changed it out and poof, all is well!