Dodge Ram 1500 - 2 or 4 wheel drive

Page 2 of 3

more than 43 years.

actually, you would be very wrong on that. the use of stidded tires has been so prevelant that the state isoutlawing metal studs due to the damage that they are causing to the road surface. now that is a whole lot of studs man. look at the schwab stories, the big o stories, etc., etc. the banning of metal studs is really going to hurt them, they were the bulk of their winter sales.

oregon isn't that big. a whole lot out west and midwest are larger.

iyo.
oh good bill. you bet, use chains and quit chewing up the roads with studs. are you tbones brother or something? or maybe his mother?

Good for you. Oh, by the way, your quote of me, "here in Oregon", didn't appear in my original post. On par with your accuracy.

The majority of Orgonians live in the Willamette Valley, which includes Portland, Salem and Eugene. I seriously doubt if most of the people there run studded tires. In Southern Oregon, it is probably less than 5 percent. Contrary to your belief, it doesn't take a whole lot of studded tires to tear up roads, especially at highway speeds. Ever notice how they scratch up a driveway? You are exagerating here.

A whole lot? Some, but not a whole lot. But how does that change anything?

You have no real argument, so you turn to insults. People only drive a short distance with chains on, as opposed to 4 to 5 months with studded tires. Huh, think that may add up to more damage to the road surface?
This discussion with you is going nowhere, so "whatever".

as well as a host of other towns but thanks for that lttle tid bit of information.

i haven't. i don't use studs on my personal car.

5%. where did you get your stats? you just know because you been here for 43 years?

you dumb fuck. you are the one that brought it up, not me.

yep. whatever.
Bill P. wrote:

Here in MA they are allowed only during winter months (as I imagine most states dictate as well).
I don't think they can go on until Nov 30 and have to be off by Apr 1 or 15. There's a definite "snow tire season" defined by law.
I had them on my truck (rear wheels only) and they did help on ice, but I don't think they provide much help beyond ice driving, which, I suppose is their primary purpose.
SMH
wrote in message

not
I used to see them every now and then in NJ and I guess that people here own them because ice is much more of a problem than snow in NC.

the
is
While I agree that traction is diminished, I'm not so sure about "big time", specifically when you are talking about studded tires that only have them on the outer edge of the tread. Of course, just like in regular tires, there are good ones and there are pure crap ones as well. I did a little reading and there were a few studded tires that actually matched conventional tires in stopping ability on dry roads but they are not available in this country. As I said before, the significance of the traction loss is dependant on the driver. With the vehicles that you have owned, you seem to be performance oriented and in your case, the loss of traction from the studs would be unacceptable while someone who drives a little easier than you do might not even notice the difference besides the noise from the studs.

ice
them
Especially with the way that you drive :-) I have heard good things about Blizzak's and agree that they seem to be the better tire but even there, driving style will play a part. How do blizzaks do on wet ice? I bet that studded tire will out do them there because studded tires will not be as effected by the thin layer of water and if the driver is one of those just floor it and let them spin types, studded will again have a possible advantage as the studs will keep digging without hydroplaning. The blizzaks may do as well but you will probably be significantly shortening there lives but again, this is just my opinion and I could very well be wrong as I have never owned them and probably never will.

Here ya go!!
<BFG>
Roy wrote:

LOL, much better!

How many

Tom these friggin studded tires are one thing, dangerous. The one's I had were side and staggered they sucked they were dangerous. You talk about traction but ya have to get the damn thing stopped as well.
Rather than go back and forth over what the Idiot said or didn't say, go read up on them. Or go buy a set for yourself and hold on tight.

How did you arrive at this?

means...right???
suffer
also
I would attribute much of this to yuor driving style. Someone who buys a top line Vette, a Ford Lightening, and an SRT8 doesn't exactly do it to drive like a little old lady. I would say that you push your vehicles from time to time and in that case, studded tires can prove to be dangerous.

Again, it depends on how I drive with them. Many years ago, I had a Magnum and it had Eagle GT tires on it and as big as it was, I drove it hard and it did what I asked. My buddy had Eagle ST's on his car and when he got rid of the car, he gave me his ST's (same size as my GT's) as my tires were wearing out (I can't imagine why). A few day's after installing them, I was flying down the entrance ramp to 287 (60 on a 40 mph ramp as usual) and the car spun around on me (luckly I used to drive like and idiot and kept it from hitting the curb) and I thought what pieces of shit these tires were. The problem is that he never had any trouble with them at all but then again, he didn't drive as hard as I did, they just didn't have the grip that the GT's did so it really wan't the tire, but my driving style that caused the problem.

dangerous
probably
Read above and I also had them on a few cars in my younger days in NJ and as long as I was aware that they were there and drove with some sanity, besides the noise, they gave me little trouble. Granted, I couldn't jump off of the line like my friends could on dry days, but I also didn't get stuck in the ice like they did.

Did it ever dawn on you that having owned and driven the cars you listed that I might just know how to drive at the limit of the capabilities of each one? Don't you think that it might transfer over to plowing snow and thus the limit of the tires as well? Nah, probably didn't. Here's a clue for you, that's why I advocate the Blizzak. They work.
Anyway this thing is real stale. Like I said go by a set you 'll love them

See that is where we are different I work my way up to finding the limits of the car. You on the other hand seem to just stand on the gas. Glad you didn't injury anybody.

have
normal
had
each
Where did I say that you didn't. It still doesn't change the fact that for you, the reduced traction with studded snows will seem dangerous because you push your vehicles as you put it, to their limits and the reduced traction in that case will be significant.

you,
I never said that they didn't.

I have owned them in the past and also never had any real trouble with them either although I really don't see any need to own another set. Perhaps your driving skills aren't all that you think that they are if they gave you so much trouble.

go
and
rid
from
The
again,
of
Yawn, I had owned the car for years and knew what its limits were. What I didn't know was how much less grip the ST's had compared to the GT's but I keep the car somewhat under control and that never happened again.

As usual, resorting to lame insults. I guess that I really shouldn't expect any more than that when someone disagrees with you.

Ah Tom, you don't push to limits when driving a plow truck.

No Tom they didn't give me trouble, just that they were dangerous on wet and dry pavement. Trust me, my driving skills are just fine although I do temper things as I get older.

WTF! Where is the insult? Lame or otherwise? I said you seemed to stand on the gas with out knowing the cars limits. The tires you put on became part of the car and you hammered it before you knew where the tires would lose grip. I didn't say you were stupid, I just said you seemed to stand on the gas.
niped for miles.

yeah tom. once again, you sure don't do the fast shoe do you? lol. you would make a great democrat. oh wait. you are one.

listed
for
you
traction
Show me exactly where I said that they don't work and don't worry, I'll wait.

as long as i've waited to find out how old you are?

of
that
because
for
As I thought, unable to back up your own bullshit. You would make a great Republican, oh wait, you are one.

can't even be original, can you tom?

A little sensitive here aren't we Tom? I would like to know where Roy insulted you too? FYI you are not one to talk about how things go when some one disagrees with you. You are preaching but not living by what you preach, starting to sound sort of like Budd did.

good analogy.

are,
As I suspected, nothing but spin. What difference does it make other than to try and spin the point of the discussion to something else. When you have something valid to discuss, I will be glad to take part in it. I think that you are a bright guy for the most part and a real debate might be fun but this is just wasting my time so I'm done with this thread. Feel free to replay if you must.