Dodge Ram 1500 2001 mist and smell of radiator fluid

Just purchased and notice mist and smell coming from vents. Keep reading that it might be a heater core, I don't have $600 for a shop to repair. What tools and things do I need to do it myself. Should I
attempt it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

not unless you feel comfortable removing most of the dash board. if you have done this before and have the correct tools it will take most of a day. i would start by getting some other prices. should be able to get it done for less. michael