Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Laramie 5.9 TD

Any ideas on whether these are any good as a general use vehicle with occasional heavy duty towing? I know there's fueel economy issues - the one I'm looking at is a 5.9 Cummins TD manual. Any hints, tips etc on what to look for would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

Well, we're just a little bit biased in this Dodge truck newsgroup, but . . .

I use my '98 3500 CTD Auto as a daily driver and get about 16 mpg. I'll be pulling a 15,000 lb fiver on a 2000 mile vacation trip next week and expect to get around 13 mpg.

Given those weights and that kind of MPG, I would say there are much in the way of fuel economy issues - it could be a V-10 getting around

10-12 solo.

Greg '98 3500 QC 4x2 Cummins ISB, Auto, 3.54:1, Driftwood with Leather and all the heavy duty options. '89 Nu-Wa Champagne Edition, 34 foot Fifth Wheel.

Reply to
Greg Surratt

i use my 2005 2500 6 speed lwb truck as a daily driver and love it. im getting 19 mpg empty and around 15 towing, the only long trip tows ive done so far was into kentuky hauling a 99 durango on my equipment trailer (got

16) and then 2 weeks later helping my sister inlaw move from TN i hauled a truck full of her "stuff" and her 95 buick roadmaster on the same trailer (got 15). i also use the truck to move my farm tractor for bush work but thats local and havent noted any decrease in around town mpg numbers over the weeks when i dont move the equipment.

now ive had the 8.0L v10 and as gas motors go, it cant be beat for a truck motor. but bear in mind i was getting 10mpg empty and 6 towing with it.

with that said..........

There is NO comparasion between the Cummins and a gasser. NONE! everything i own is a oil burner =)

thats my 2 cents

Reply to
Christopher Thompson
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 here - gets about 19mpg. For the five week days, I commute about 35 minutes on highway. Otherwise, almost all back roads. I tow maybe once a month, approximately.

-L> Any ideas on whether these are any good as a general use vehicle with

Reply to
Lint Radley