Dodge Ram 3500 Free wheel front hubs

G'day everyone,
I'm contemplating buying a Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins Diesel.
Any feedback - good or bad appreciated.
Also can I buy Free Wheel hubs for the front axle on this vehicle.
If so who has the reputation for the best quality.
Thanks
Nifty
(For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about...these go on the end of the drive axle and allow the front wheels to turn without turning the transmission. Naturally when you use 4WD you have to get out and manually lock the hubs).
On 04/17/2013 05:54 PM, Neville MADDEN wrote:

Good.

They used to come equipped that way. Way back.
I once saw a Toyota FJ40 with locking hubs installed on the rear too.
On 4/17/2013 8:54 PM, Neville MADDEN wrote:

I believe there is at least one company selling free wheeling hubs, but I don't know the cost.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

If you go over to Dieseltruckresource.com you will find loads of info with some pretty good info on free wheeling hubs. Check these out;
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/spyntec-install-my-2006-t311059.html?&highlight=hub or http://tinyurl.com/cnvz7nt
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/help-hub-axle-shaft-removal-t311158.html?&highlight=hub or http://tinyurl.com/cdg5grm
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/yukon-gear-front-hub-conversion-t309347.html?&highlight=hub or http://tinyurl.com/bpbwh69
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t04371 or http://tinyurl.com/d4c2uxz
--

FMB
(70 11 27 35)

Good morning,
Thanks for the excellent information and help. From what you have told me I immediately found a supplier in my locality. I think I'll go with the Dynatrac as they seem to be all US manufacture.
I have yet to find Chinese bearings that can be relied on and they usually fail, without warning, at the worst possible time.
Thanks again
Nifty
FWIW, here's a for sale ad from a Dodge owner and mechanic:
2 used 2500 4x4 front hub assemblies
Took these off my 2006 2500 4x4 at 27K to install a DynaTech locking hub kit. (waste of money BTW) Includes the mounting bolts and wheel studs, no lug nuts. Asking $35/each or best offer plus shipping.
(waste of money BTW) is in the body of the ad, I have never installed these and so have no direct knowledge.
On 4/17/2013 7:54 PM, Neville MADDEN wrote:

On 4/22/2013 10:04 AM, BigIronRam wrote:

Gee, I'd buy them... I have a feeling I'm going to trash my hubs getting them out of the steering knuckles (yea, I had to cut the ball joints to get the whole thing apart, and am now fighting both the hubs and knuckles, and ball joints trying to get this stuff apart. At 70K miles on the ball joints (new) and 30K miles on the hubs (replaced at about 35K miles).
I'm beginning to think my Dodge sucks!
And I'm thinking I'm going to have to drill out the ball joints to get them out, too. Not sure how I'm going to separate the hubs from the knuckles either.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

On 4/23/2013 6:44 AM, PeterD wrote:

Here's a link to the ad, scroll down
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Numberv49492&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD
On 4/23/2013 11:40 AM, BigIronRam wrote:

Thanks, I emailed the seller.
--
I'm never going to grow up.