Dodge ram van fuel injectors

He people

I got a injecor circuit malfunction code reading for my odb. Engine was running rough and the CEL went on. After investingating I found that the wire harness had benn melted and wires to the injectors were shorting. I broke apart the harness and separated the shorted wires and retaped them just to see if that would cure the problem. I still am getting the code message and all of the symtoms associeated with it.

My big question is, could the shorted wires have ruined the fuel injector and be causing the the problem even though they are not shrted any more.

Thanks Sheldon

Reply to
MontyC

More likely is the shorted wires burned the injector driver circuit in the PCM. Sounds like you will need a replacement.

Reply to
Steve W.

Is the pcm the computer module?

A shop replaced the computer module before finding the shorted wires.

I just re ran new wires in the harness. and cylinder eight does not bounce with the ohm meter like the rest of the injectors.

Thanks Sheldon

Reply to
MontyC

What I think happened is the guy at the shop ruined the new module because the wires were still shorted. Now that I have cleaned up all of the shorts and spliced new wire in where the melted wires were does anyone know how I could check the connector that goes to the number 8 cylider to make sure it will not kill a new pcm.

Thanks in advance Sheldon

Reply to
MontyC

be sure you are using a 10MegaOhm meter (any digital multi-meter will do)

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson

If I unplug the harness at the module and check both contacts at the injector connector with a meter and also check each contact with the chassis. Is that a good Idea to look for shorts in the harness. I will look for a harness schematic to try to find which pins on the ECM connector for the injector connector. To add to steves reply I get a flat out short that pins the meter when the engine is running and I hook the meter up to both splice joints at the 8 injector, the other 2 that I spliced bounce up and down with engine running.

Thanks again

Reply to
MontyC

To check for shorts you will want to disconnect the harness from the PCM. Then check between the two injector connections for shorting. Then check each one for short to ground. It sounds like the driver circuit for that injector has failed. They tend to short out in that event.

What I would probably do is ask the shop if they will warranty the part since they installed it. If not take a look on carpart.com for a used one. Should save you a few bucks. Be advised that you will still have to take it to a dealer or a shop so they can enter the VIN number and current mileage into the new (used) PCM.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the reply. I will do as advised

Reply to
MontyC