Dodge Ram with Front Frame Rail Damage?

Page 1 of 2  
I was just about to buy a used truck (2004 Dodge Ram 4x4 Diesel) and just before we finalized the deal, I found out it was in an accident (even though the dealer said it was not - even in WRITING). When I
obtained detailed claim information from the insurance company, I found out it the front left and right rails had been repaired (about 4 hours of labor total).
Apparently, this truck was involved in an accident in a parking lot and had around $7,000 in repairs. Looked more like the previous owner rear-ended someone.
While I know that buying a used vehicle with frame repair is usually a no-no, is there anyway of knowing if the repair was done perfectly - so it will never develop faults in the drivetrain as a result or so it will not compromise safety in a future accident? Privacy laws prevent me from finding out who did the repairs.
Perhaps I should just run away now?
Thanks, Paula
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Personally, I would run just because the dealership lied, but a Ram 1500? with a Cummins and frame rail damage would make me cautious.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It's a 3500, but I am sure that makes little difference.
Yeah, they lied not once, but TWICE (they also lied about the black book value, which we later verified on-line). So, we then spent two days grinding them down with a new set of offers based on our CORRECT information. When they said they would give us the no-accident report the day we picked up the truck and handed over our money (but not sooner than that), it sent off some warning bells with us, so we paid to pull the accident history (and then both my husband and I promptly had catastrophic hissy fits).
We're definitely walking away from this deal now, and we're trying to decide if we should keep any kind of decent relationship with the dealer to try and get a deal on another truck (they definitely have incentive to TRY to keep as happy) or write a nasty letter to DaimlerChrysler in the hopes that this dealer will lose their 5 star rating. But, then again, maybe it's their policy to lie to customers (just as long as we don't find out - and if we do, just make sure we can't prove it) so writing a letter would be a waste of time. Perhaps the BBB? Ohhh...I don't know, I am still soooo mad about all of this, I can't even think straight.....
Thanks for your comments! Paula
azwiley1 wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Boy you folks are just looking to get screwed aren't? Why the hell would you continue to deal with a dealer that is dishonest? I'd look elsewhere for a truck.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Roy wrote:

Aren't all dealers dishonest, though? I mean, why are there so many used carsalesman jokes? Dishonestly is their policy. It's up to the buyer to ensure they are getting a fair deal (independent mechanical inspection, accident report information, black book value on-line, carfax, etc., etc). They are just the middle man, really. I think everything coming out of a salesperson's mouth is pretty much a lie most of the time - they are selling - so of course they have to tell you lies!
If I could find the truck I want privately, I'd do that, but there's just none out there - and there hasn't been for the past several months. We're looking for a 3500 RAM Diesel 4x4 with a manual transmission, so it's a much harder find.
Besides, we want a Dodge truck and there are only about 4 or 5 dealers in our local area. So if we cut this one out (and it's the biggest one) that reduces our inventory by a huge amount. It's really the only reason I am considering dealing with this scum again (THAT, and the minute possibility that they MAY want to try to make things RIGHT).
Does that make more sense, or should I still RUN?
Paula
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Where are you located?

I have a bridge I will sell you as well.

No!! Yes!!!

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, not all dealers are dishonest. Some can be trusted...You can justify this bad deal till you are blue in the face. If you want to buy this vehicle from a dealer that out right lied to you, go for it.
Personally, I'm not afraid to buy a vehicle that has been hit and fixed correctly but I would "demand" quite alot off of retail.
I wouldn't buy this one though, plus I wouldn't buy any vehicle from this dealer. He could have said "this vehicle has been in an accident but it has been fixed correctly". What would have been so hard about saying that?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It would have been hard on his wallet because then he would probably have to lower the price some after admitting that this truck has had some structural damage.
--
If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for skydiving



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 28 Jul 2006 00:17:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Given that is it a Cummins and the the engine is very heavy the damage to frame was likely related to engine mounting in frame rails which weakened it. Unless they replaced the frame in truck, I would run not walk for this deal and this dealer because they are not playing it striagth at all and should be avoided at all costs. All used car salesman are a bit shadey but some more than others. Whay do you think that 94 is on the lot anyway because how ever had it did not want it anymore from damage either. It is possible that deal may not have known about damage but you both know now for sure. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

WRONG!!! My Cummins is mounted to a frame, and the frame is undamaged. What damaged the frame on the truck in question is unknown, but it sure as hell wasn't the engine mounts. Further, the engine mounts did not weaken the frame.

Jeez, I have to agree here......

Yup... run screaming from this truck.
--
Max

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Yours was not in the wreck and the engine is mounted to the main frame in one way or another as its masses (about twice the weight of a gas engine) will increase chance or frame damage in a wreck because of the momentemum of engine is much larger to stop. It has the same frame as a gas truck so in the same impact the is a higher potenail for frame damage and weaking. THere are those that think that this added mass is transparent though while it is not. In a wreck it has to be stopped too and unless engine impacts something itself to will place the force to stop it on the frame. If you rear end someone at 20, the stored monemtum in the CTD is the same to stiop (in relation to frame) as a 30 MPH impact with a gas engine. Simple physics. 4 hours of straightening work on frame means it was damaged a good bit and weakened in the process beacuse once metal is driven to "yeild" this why, its strength is diminished unless it is retreated which is impaossible to do with frame in truck as work require a serious shop to do it too. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Spare us the long explanations. You said the diesel was why there was extensive frame damage. Its simply not so. The frame is designed to handle the weight of the diesel, the fact that it has gasoline engines as options is irrelevant to the frame construction, as its (again..) designed for the load of the diesel.
What damamged the frame was the impact.
If your claims were correct, my aerial act in my 2000 (where it was well over 4 feet in the air) would have ripped the engine loose. It did not.
Please drop the "diesel sucks" bias and get a grip on reality.
--
Max

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I know when it is long and technical. it escapes you so you discount it. It does not change the facts no the less even if you choose to ignore them ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, it's more like you can't write worth a shit and ramble on and on worse than a six year old.
Denny
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How about when its long and full of shit?
I didn't ignore the facts, I ignored your complete and utter bullshit story.
Got anything else to say, or will you be insulting the collective intelligence again?
--
Max

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Just got to get nasty huh. Do it make you feel good???
Yes you do ignore the fact because you think that putting a 1300 lb motor into a light duty truck frame makes it a semi tractor and you are kinda lost here. I drove dump trucks in 70's as summer jobs while going to college for engineering degree and they were power by what you would call "wimpy" gas motors yet they regulaly hauled GVW's of 30 tons and more without fail and did a good job of it too. Why because they had the frame, tranny, and gears to go with the loads. Dodge uses same frame gas of diesel and you choice to ignore the effect of this extra weight in a crash and what it can do to frame shows to total lack of understanding and who really is clueless. Be it a 10 or 20 MPH impact, the frame will be twisted and torque with twice the energy on impact for the CTD mass vs a gas motor and that energy has to go somewhere. This is not about diesel sucks which you claim, it is about the physics here and the damage possible by it. Grow up and get a life! ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

snoman:
claming to know engineering and physics is different than knowing engineering and physics. you got the claiming part down, it is just the knowing part that you got all messed up. for me, the knowing part is what matters. that is why you don't.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Stated facts are not nasty unless you don't like them.

Well, I think its you who are lost... its an 1100 lb engine, and the truck frame was designed with the engine in mind. Regardless of the frame classification, it'll take FAR more than what the engine weighs. I've had 7000 lbs in the bed of the truck, I doubt the 1100 lb engine will do anything to the frame that the sand bags or shingles did not.

SFW?
They use the same frame because its designed for the diesel, thus it will handle the gasoline engine easily.

The key word here is "possible". Its possible in any scenario to have massive damage due to collision. However, it is NOT possible to have massive damage simply because of the engine mounted on the frame.

Sage advice for one who cannot state a straight fact to save his own ass.
--
Max

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
SnoMan wrote:

I have a new word
> impaossible
I have two new words.
JS
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The BBB won't be your best bet probably - they have no governing ability, and participation by the business is voluntary. I would check with your state or province's government to see if there's some sort of licensing board for dealerships, and if so, contact them about the problem. I think that would get a lot more done, after all, who wants to get in trouble with the government? ;-)
-Lint
snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.