Dodge truck codes?

I have a 1999 Dodge ram 4WD, auto witht e Magnum V8 engine. Yesterday the check engine light came on. All engine parameters, oil pressure, temperature, etc are nominal and the engine seems to be running well. Some vehicles have a way that engine error codes can be read by truning the ignition on and off a specific number of times then watching for a dash indicator light to flash. Does anybody know if this can be done with this vehicle and if so, what is the procedure and whant do the sequence of blinks indicate? Thanks.

Reply to
eccles

Try key on, off, on off and on again your digital odometer will tell you the codes, if you do not have a digital odometer, you can count the number of times the check engine light flashes, the codes are three digits.

Also most consumer auto parts stores (Autozone, etc.) will 'loan' you a scan tool (or scan it themselves) for free.

Reply to
PeterD

snipped-for-privacy@hipson.net (PeterD) wrote in :

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Reply to
eccles

snipped-for-privacy@idiot.gov wrote in :

OK, I tried the on-off sequence and the digital odometer only read the mileage. When I turned the engine back on, the check engine light was out and it hasn't come back on. Must have been some sort of transient? I'll keep watching for it to reappear. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
eccles

Probably was transient. Perhaps a loose gas cap, or evap leak that isn't consistent.

BTW, the key on/off bit is a bit touchy, when I used to do it (before I got a good scan tool) I'd sometimes have to try several times before it worked.

Reply to
PeterD