Dodge Van Hesitation !!!!

I just bought a 1978 Factory Custom Dodge Van In mint condition. It has been garaged the whole time. Most of the time the first owner drove it

1 -2 times a year. It has 63,000.miles on the 400 Big Block!!! I couldn't leave the 2 BBL on it,and changed it to a Edelbrock 4 bbl, and ED. performer intake. The van always hesitated when you gave it the gas. Thats why I really put the 4 bbl on it. Now if you give it the gas it still hesitates, and if you press the gas peddle too much it will back fire. It idles very smooth, and starts the first shot every time. I changed everything! Wires, plugs, vacume controll, cap rotor, set the timing. Now I just start the van it the yard. I don't take it out so there will be no damage to the motor. I need some help. Just ask me any question to see if I had replaced it, or checked it. It looks like I am going to have to bring it to a shop.

Thanks, Russ

Reply to
Russ B.

Bad fuel pump, restricted fuel supply, rusted tank particles blocking the fuel pickup? I think it's a 36 gallon plastic tank though, maybe the "sock" has crumbled restricting the pickup?

Reply to
John Smith

Check your timing chain for wear. It shouldn't have much more that 10 degrees of play in it.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Hi Russ ! looks like we have similar situations, I to have just bought a

1978 Dodge tradesman B200 (class B motorhome)with a near mint state body wise and 86,000 km on it. But mine is a 5.9 Litres 360 hp with a double barrel carb. Mine also starts instantly and runs smooth until I depress the accelerator......then it chokes and dies on me if I dont decelerate, it seem to refuse to take the effort to accelerate straight down to the floor.

I have checked for proper firering order, checked the distributor cap and componets inside (rotor & stator) I have a Haynes Dodge and Plymouth vans

1971 thru 2003 repair manual not the best apparently but its the only manual I could get my hands on fast, since I am not a mechanic I just hapenned to check out this newsgroup and found you and your situation.(similar to mine) !

I will check on the gaz pump like John mentionned and the timing chain like Denny mentionned, but it will be sometimes this coming week before I get back to you guys on the results. I have found a Chrysler mechanic that works exclusively on Chrysler motors (he work at a Chrysler deaslership) and helps poor guys like us that hate paying for dealership exorbitant hourly pricing rate.

Looking forward to find a remedy for our situation......in the meantime its nice reading that I am not the onlyone with my problem.

Regards ....J-P.

"Russ B." a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
jp.bourassa

I had someone say a bad fuel pump. I went out , and bought a fuel gauge. This way I can see the fuel lb's. It had 6 lbs. Edelbrock said I needed 6 to run the carb. Thats what i have.

Reply to
Russ B.

Hey Jp sorry for the delay, but I checked everything all over again , and still NO LUCK. If I get the problem I will tell you right away. I hope I can nip this thing in the butt.

Reply to
Russ B.

Could you describe the hesitation, and the vehicle?

Al

Reply to
Big Al