Don't put on wheel well trim covers on your truck

Dodge City dealership, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, put on wheel well trim covers, runningboards, rubber mat on endgate, moulded mud flaps, etc. when I bought my truck new from them in Jan, 03.

Last July, I took off one of my mud flaps off to replace a screw. Had it off and cleaned up the flap. Decided to take off the wheel well trims at the same time to see how things look.

Under the trim paint was starting to blister, and where they drilled the screw, it was starting to rust. Took off the other mouldings to see what was happening there

Check out my pics

Dodge will fix my truck because the trims weren't a mopar product. But yet the dodge dealership keeps selling them.

As of last week, the dealership was still looking into my problem and haven't gotten back to me.

Just letting you know, those wheel trims could cause a problem. Not only do I see them on other dodge trucks, seen them on fords also.

IF the dealership would tell you of the problems or tell you they should be taken off every now and then and be cleaned, I know I wouldn't of put them on.

I wanted to protect the fender lip from stone chips and got rust instead. dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Dale Yonz

That is why I do installs myself, I have not found a conscientious installer yet. They never prime and paint drill holes, use stainless fasteners, use rtv in the holes to keep water out, or just do not give a rats ass.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

That's the words I was looking for, they don't give a rats ass

They used philips screws, about 6 or 7 can't remember for sure, on each trim. Half of them were rusted on the heads and hard to get out. The philips head couldn't get a good grip to unscrew them.

dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

If this were my truck (and it's not) I would spend $20 and a couple hours of my time and fix it permanently. Sand it down. Spray on some extend. Re-assemble with RTV and stainless screws. Done. No more hassle. Fixed forever. Sure, you can argue with the dealership to fix it, since they installed it. But

- IMO - it's just not worth the heartburn for such a small repair.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Reply to
.boB