Driving lights

Howdy,
I have a question about adding driving lights to my 07 Dodge Dakota, I seen some on Ebay that are OEM but the auction says that I would have to take the truck to the dealership to have a Scanstar(?) let the
computer recognize the lights.
My question is why? Would the lights be inline with the regular light switch?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance, Jim

Well, the problem is that the in-dash light switch doesn't turn the lights on and off anymore. Rather, it simply allows a signal to pass to the Front Control Module, asking it to pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top turn on the lights.
If your truck didn't come with fog lights, the EBay seller is probably talking about wiring these driving lights up to work off the fog light setting of the OEM switch, which right now your Front Control Module will ignore.
Now, that doesn't mean you can't wire them yourself with a separate switch - one that taps power from the existing headlamp circuit, and uses that to energize a relay, which then sends battery voltage to the auxilliary lights.
But, if you want it all fancy and stock-like, then yes, the dealership needs to program that function into the computer for you.
cowboy67 wrote:

The factory does not supply additional driving lights to any of their vehicles that I know of. Fog lights are almost standard equipment, though. Hardly see any vehicles on the dealer lots without them.
There's a big differance between driving and fog. They look similar, but function very differantly. Also, if you put driving lights into the fog circuit, they will only come on with the low beams.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod
.boB wrote:

Are we talking about daytime running lights?