DTE=WTF

Just got back off a trip. Wasn't watching the gas gauge, and the fuel light on my '06 2500 Cummins came on. The DTE said that I had another 43 miles.
When I got to the gas station, I put in 33+ gallons. I think it has a 34 gallon tank. That would mean that I should have gotten 43 miles per gallon on the last gallon.
How accurate is the DTE display?
Steve
It's about as accurate as the MPG display. My MPG show a pretty consistent 10% higher than actual MPG and the DTE is also about 10% higher (based on what it shows, versus how much gas I put in).

Not accurate enough to ever do that again :)
With my '99, I can recall a dark, slightly damp, moonless morning... about 3:30AM, cruising back home. "Hmmm... DTE says another 12 miles, and I know it always calculates conservatively... about 6 miles to home. No problem.. I got this". Two minutes later: "Hey, why am I slowing down? Something ain't right." <pushes in clutch> "Hmmm... tach dropped to nothing, and now it's really hard to steer. Awwww.... crap!"
From now on, when DTE gets into double-digits, I fuel up. Especially since I haven't had a Dodge that I haven't modified, tweaked, and fiddled with, making the computer WAY more inaccurate.
Fairly accurate, since you have a 36 gallon tank.
For what its worth, my DTE is not real accurate, always showing far less fuel than is actually there. OTOH, the MPG average is almost always right on or a bit lower than actual average.
YMMV.
--
Max

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:36:35 -0700, Steve B wrote:

they are usually good for having you walk well before it says you should
Chris
05 CTD