Dumb question about changing alternator belt . . .

Have to replace the 2 alternator belts in my '89 Dodge B250 (360 ci gasoline engine). Been a long time since I did any of my own maintenance, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm not sure
which way the belts go on -
the other belt (power steering/fan), installed by a mechanic, has the 'toothed' side of the belt inside, that is, contacting the pullies, which is what I would expect. However, the new belts I bought both came with the teeth outward, and the profile (cross section) of the belts looks as if that might be the way they go in.) Can't tell by the old ones, because they're totally worn smooth.
Would really prefer not to have to do this twice ;^)
Thanks.
Joe
Joe Befumo wrote:

Do the pulleys have teeth on them?
Joe,
Sounds like you are replacing plain old V shaped belts, instead of a flat "serpentine" belt like newer engines have, that run to several pulleys and are about 3/4ths of an inch wide... So if this is the case, and it is only going around say 2 pulleys (possible tensioner could be involved as a 3rd) the narrow part of the V goes on the inside of the pulleys, outside pattern is depending on Manufacturer, some have "teeth look" on the outside, but many don't. the insides on some vbelts can sometimes look like teeth, I have seen, but I think the theory is that the removed rubber, makes them go around much smaller pulleys easier... all of it is to meet thickness and save material = more less cost of materials used, per belt to make, only ever so slightly... kind of like leaving out one olive per 1,000,000 salads saved some airline something like $20-$60k (if I recall the story correctly) a few years back...