Durango A/C compressor question

My wife has a 2001 Durango. She said the A/C was working the other week and now it is not. It just blows warm air. I took a look under the hood and when she turns the A/C on the compressor turns on for a few seconds and then off 20 seconds or so then back on.

I hope the compressor isn't bad since I suspect it's a pretty expensive repair.

I'm ok with repairs. I just have limited if any experience about A/C units. I don't want to have to dump a grand for a new compressor and the installation and flushing the system and all the rest. I am hoping that it may be a simple electrical issue like a relay. It may just be low freon. Beats me.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Shane

fast cycle like that is usually a signal of a low charge.

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson

Previous answer is correct. You've got a leak and there is a pressure switch cutting the compressor off.

Reply to
curmudgeon

I added some refrigerant and it allowed the compressor to run, but the pressure went down quick. Apparently, there is a leak. Any good way to troubleshoot the link?

Reply to
Shane

You can pick up a leak detection kit... it'll have a can of R-134a with a tracer dye in it, and a black light. Charge the system with the can, run it for a while, then go over the whole system with the black light. The dye will glow green. Yours sounds like a fairly gross leak, so it shouldn't be too hard to pinpoint.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence