Durango blower fan switch question - bad?

I have a 2001 Durango. Recently, the 4th speed of the blower motor speed control for the heat/ac stopped working. This morning they all stopped working. The rear fan still works using it's own control. Does
this mean that the dial for the front spped control is bad? I suppose all the dials and buttons are part of one big cluster and the dash needs to come out. Any one that can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Shane
Suddenly, without warning, Shane McBride exclaimed (7/26/2010 7:15 AM):

Nope, you just need a new blower motor resistor. Common thing to go out on these trucks - my 2001 Dakota has gone through two. You can replace it yourself, but if it's placed like mine, it is really awkward to get to, under the passenger side dash. I had it replaced while the truck was in for other things, so I can't really say how hard it is to get to.
jmc

Yea, I checked a few places and it looks like it is the resistor. I bought one and will replace it tomorrow. Looks rather easy. Thanks!!!!!
Suddenly, without warning, Shane McBride exclaimed (7/26/2010 6:02 PM):

I seem to remember that the tricky part was moving some plastic (vents?) to properly get at the location of the resistor. It's very hard for me to do that sort of thing any more (awkward under-dash contortionist activities), my back won't allow it.
Good luck. FWIW, for me the first broke when I'd had the truck about 3 years. The second broke less than a year after that... but the third is still going strong.
jmc