Durango headlights randomly go out

1999 Dodge Durango.
We live way out in the middle of nowhere, and frequently in winter have to turn our high beams on. Sometimes, when turning the high beams on or off, the headlights will go
out all together. We have to turn flipping them on and off a few times and then they correct themselves.
What might cause something like this?

Heat opening a circuit somewhere.

Any idea how to find out where? :-) Might replacing the headlights do it? The bulbs get pretty hot, that could cause a problem although in theory it shouldn't.

I would guess a worn multi-function switch (that's the switch in the steering column that handles the turn signals, high beams, wipers, etc.)

I agree, if it only happens on switch activation it's likely a balky switch rather than a heat load tripping.

That's pretty much what I thought, the heat suggestion threw me :-) Time to go get a Haynes manual. Thanks guys.