Durango headlights randomly go out

1999 Dodge Durango.

We live way out in the middle of nowhere, and frequently in winter have to turn our high beams on. Sometimes, when turning the high beams on or off, the headlights will go out all together. We have to turn flipping them on and off a few times and then they correct themselves.

What might cause something like this?

Reply to
Av

Heat opening a circuit somewhere.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Any idea how to find out where? :-) Might replacing the headlights do it? The bulbs get pretty hot, that could cause a problem although in theory it shouldn't.

Reply to
Av

I would guess a worn multi-function switch (that's the switch in the steering column that handles the turn signals, high beams, wipers, etc.)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I agree, if it only happens on switch activation it's likely a balky switch rather than a heat load tripping.

Reply to
John Kunkel

That's pretty much what I thought, the heat suggestion threw me :-) Time to go get a Haynes manual. Thanks guys.

Reply to
Av