DynaTrac free spin kits......

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone here ever had any experience with these? Mileage increase? Overall performance?
http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_dodge.html

Laszlo Almasi

No experience, but it would take a long time to break even on what it costs.
Al
It's surely not cheap. Was curious if anyone had any real world mileage increase numbers before I give them a call.
I plan on keeping my '01 2500 QC 4x4 for many many years to come and might consider this if the increase is sufficient.
Laszlo Almasi
Ok, just got off the phone with DynaTrac and per the feedback they receive, the increase in MPG is 2-4 depending of course on the driver. That being said, if you see an average of 3 mpg increase, with a 34 gal tank you will get an additional 102 miles. And if you are paying $2.95 for premium (as I am) then you will save about $29.00 per fill up. At $1900 per kit it will take about 66 full tanks to pay for itself. For me, thats about 1.5 years. If I can eek out 4 then its even better.
So, had I known about these when I replaced my bearings I would have gone the extra small amount and installed these. They also claim increased steering response and less vibration due to the decrease in rotational mass.
Laszlo Almasi
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:54:04 -0400, "Carolina Watercraft Works"

Realistically figure on a 1 to maybe 2 MPG increase on a fullsized truck at most with larger amount being in winter when drive axle lube is thicker and has more drag do to increased shear forces required. (a small 4x4 might gain a bit more) The silly part is that Dodge choose to leave out lockout hubs to save maybe 50 to 75 bucks or so on every truck. (when they had AAM make a new front axle for them starting in 03 for HD models they requested'spec'd that lock out hubs or axle disconnects be left off too) There was a time when lockout hubs where the defacto standard on 4x4's but in recent times Dodge did away with it and even dropped axle disconnect too to save costs and simplify things. Ford and GM still use either hubs or a axle disconnect so that front drive shaft does not turn in 2wd. (Jeep suffers Dodges fate too) I would honestly maybe consider a Dodge some time in future if they would bring back lockout hubs on HD trucks. Lack of them makes them more of a no brainer for people that would not know how to use 4x4 with them but if you cannot get out and lock a hub when needed you should not be in a 4x4 anyway. You could always leave them locked when you may be using 4x4 a lot but it is plain stupid to be spinning front drive axle in 2wd cruising down highway. Given todays fuel market it is pigheadily stupid of Dodge not to include some sort of lock out hubs or front axle disconnect because it could save owner a few grand in fuel costs over life of truck given todays and tomorrows fuel prices. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Have you ever used these kits? I have to assume your answer is NO....so you have no real world experience on these. While I'm sure you would like to be correct... and you may be....you have never used these so you shouldn't speculate on the benefit increases.
I can get an additional 1 mpg increase just by using an additive to my oil and fuel (zMAX guys: http://www.zmax.com/ ) so I think the reduced drag from the axles would supply and even better increase. I may be wrong...but I think 2-4 mpg increase is possible.....we'll see.
Personally, I'm more likely to trust the manufacturer on the feedback they have received. What worse publicity could they receive by giving out false information on gains? It would have a negative impact IMO. I will most likely be able to provide my own feedback as I plan on getting this kit.
Let's make a deal eh SnoMan?
Laszlo Almasi

Carolina Watercraft Works wrote:

So you're testifying that zMax has increased your gas mileage?
Yes it did. I get an additional 1 mpg.
Laszlo Almasi

maybe he saved 1 mpg because of the reduced weight of the driver's wallet?? *grin* sorry Lazlo but ya know I'm a skeptic when it comes to the "put this in your tank, it'll save you money" items.
--
Chris

I was too. But it has given me an additional 1 mpg for 2 years now.
Laszlo Almasi
Denny wrote:

The FTC dropped their objections to some specific claims:
# zMAX soaks into metal. # zMAX reduces friction. # zMAX increases horsepower. # zMAX dissipates engine heat. # zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits. # zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits. # zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits. # zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.
http://www.zmax.com/ftc.html
But... "Oil-Chem and SMI will offer a refund of up to $1 million, in the aggregate, to certain purchasers of zMAX, who bought zMAX before January 31, 2001. No refund will be offered to purchasers after that date."
Apparently zMAX quit some of the fantastic claims on January 31.
Thanks B...you beat me to it.
Laszlo Almasi
There wasn't a class action suit....but FTC did files some charges. Those were dismissed and if you notice...they still make those claims so apparantly...there is some basis to the claim. Doesn't bother me as I do indeed see the increase. Feel free to not consider that something may actually do something. It's been doing as it has claimed for me for 2 years now.
Laszlo Almasi

I can get another 1 mpg by fondling the gas pedal a little lighter.......and that don't cost me anything.
I'm guessing you sell this stuff...right???
How much does this "mpg in a can" cost now??
Denny

Soaks into the metal huh? So how do you keep it from soaking through the oil pan onto the ground? :-)
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:40:14 -0400, "Carolina Watercraft Works"

I never had too. See I have been owning and driving 4x4 for over 35 years. And back then lock out hubs were optional. Also in 73 Dodge came out with the orginal version of the same bastard hub they use today when they had fulltime 4x4 units only on all models from 73 to 79. They went back to lockout hubs in 80 thru 94 then whent to a axle disconnector on one side in 95 thru 02 with soldi front axle. But you would know this if you really had a clue.

You can get 1 mpg by driving different for one time to another or diffence in fuel density due to temp so I would not read anything in to your one MPG claim

I know you would as you are clueless and they love you for it. See us old timer that were around before you even knew what a 4x4 was know a lot more about this first hand. When I forgot to unlock my hubs on a trip on a few old trucks I had (they were new then) the lost about 1 MPG or a bit more on highway (depending on speed and losses were closer to 2 MPG or so in winter) and you could "feel" it too as it did not coast as well. Figure on a 5 to 10% increase tops with it being higher in cold weather when oil shares harder. Also I might add that we did not have 75w90 gear oil then and Tcases had gear oil too so they tended to loose more MPG than a newer one. BTW, to sell it to you as 2000 dollar kit they are going to have to promise you a lot but if you going into this expecting 2 to 4 MPG gain you are in for a big disapointment. Also if you have a big heavy truck gains will be smaller. Knock yourself but do not tell me that I do not know because I been around all kinds of 4x4 longer than you. Lock out hubs is a great idea to save a little fuel and wear and tear but before I would spend two grand for a conversion, I would swap out to a older solid axle that has been redone like new as they were very durable and had very long service lifes. It would be worth it more because you could them use off the shelve parts to maintain it instead of going from one bastard design to another non standard design too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

i gotta agree with you on this one. geez, i can get one mpg by driving with the wind.