DynaTrac free spin kits......

Has anyone here ever had any experience with these? Mileage increase? Overall performance?

Carolina Watercraft Works

No experience, but it would take a long time to break even on what it costs.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

It's surely not cheap. Was curious if anyone had any real world mileage increase numbers before I give them a call.

I plan on keeping my '01 2500 QC 4x4 for many many years to come and might consider this if the increase is sufficient.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Ok, just got off the phone with DynaTrac and per the feedback they receive, the increase in MPG is 2-4 depending of course on the driver. That being said, if you see an average of 3 mpg increase, with a 34 gal tank you will get an additional 102 miles. And if you are paying $2.95 for premium (as I am) then you will save about $29.00 per fill up. At $1900 per kit it will take about 66 full tanks to pay for itself. For me, thats about 1.5 years. If I can eek out 4 then its even better.

So, had I known about these when I replaced my bearings I would have gone the extra small amount and installed these. They also claim increased steering response and less vibration due to the decrease in rotational mass.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Realistically figure on a 1 to maybe 2 MPG increase on a fullsized truck at most with larger amount being in winter when drive axle lube is thicker and has more drag do to increased shear forces required. (a small 4x4 might gain a bit more) The silly part is that Dodge choose to leave out lockout hubs to save maybe 50 to 75 bucks or so on every truck. (when they had AAM make a new front axle for them starting in

03 for HD models they requested'spec'd that lock out hubs or axle disconnects be left off too) There was a time when lockout hubs where the defacto standard on 4x4's but in recent times Dodge did away with it and even dropped axle disconnect too to save costs and simplify things. Ford and GM still use either hubs or a axle disconnect so that front drive shaft does not turn in 2wd. (Jeep suffers Dodges fate too) I would honestly maybe consider a Dodge some time in future if they would bring back lockout hubs on HD trucks. Lack of them makes them more of a no brainer for people that would not know how to use 4x4 with them but if you cannot get out and lock a hub when needed you should not be in a 4x4 anyway. You could always leave them locked when you may be using 4x4 a lot but it is plain stupid to be spinning front drive axle in 2wd cruising down highway. Given todays fuel market it is pigheadily stupid of Dodge not to include some sort of lock out hubs or front axle disconnect because it could save owner a few grand in fuel costs over life of truck given todays and tomorrows fuel prices.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Have you ever used these kits? I have to assume your answer is NO....so you have no real world experience on these. While I'm sure you would like to be correct... and you may be....you have never used these so you shouldn't speculate on the benefit increases.

I can get an additional 1 mpg increase just by using an additive to my oil and fuel (zMAX guys:

) soI think the reduced drag from the axles would supply and evenbetter increase. I may be wrong...but I think 2-4 mpg increaseis possible.....we'll see. Personally, I'm more likely to trust the manufacturer on the feedback they have received. What worse publicity could they receive by giving out false information on gains? It would have a negative impact IMO. I will most likely be able to provide my own feedback as I plan on getting this kit.

Let's make a deal eh SnoMan?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

K$N advertised what in mho was bs claims for years. They finally have backed away from that practice.

I will most likely be able to provide

Reply to
Roy

So you're testifying that zMax has increased your gas mileage?

Reply to
Beryl

Yes it did. I get an additional 1 mpg.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Maybe cause the wind was at your back for that tank.... I remember that ZMax shit from about 20 years ago. They were making all these fantastic claims and all of a sudden a class action lawsuit was filed and they started reimbursing people for their product. I'm almost positive it was ZMax. I think I even tried it and it didn't do a damned thing.....other than lighted my wallet.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

maybe he saved 1 mpg because of the reduced weight of the driver's wallet?? *grin* sorry Lazlo but ya know I'm a skeptic when it comes to the "put this in your tank, it'll save you money" items.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I was too. But it has given me an additional 1 mpg for

2 years now.
Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

The FTC dropped their objections to some specific claims:

# zMAX soaks into metal. # zMAX reduces friction. # zMAX increases horsepower. # zMAX dissipates engine heat. # zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits. # zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits. # zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits. # zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

But... "Oil-Chem and SMI will offer a refund of up to $1 million, in the aggregate, to certain purchasers of zMAX, who bought zMAX before January

31, 2001. No refund will be offered to purchasers after that date."

Apparently zMAX quit some of the fantastic claims on January 31.

Reply to
Beryl

There wasn't a class action suit....but FTC did files some charges. Those were dismissed and if you notice...they still make those claims so apparantly...there is some basis to the claim. Doesn't bother me as I do indeed see the increase. Feel free to not consider that something may actually do something. It's been doing as it has claimed for me for 2 years now.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Thanks B...you beat me to it.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I never had too. See I have been owning and driving 4x4 for over 35 years. And back then lock out hubs were optional. Also in 73 Dodge came out with the orginal version of the same bastard hub they use today when they had fulltime 4x4 units only on all models from 73 to

  1. They went back to lockout hubs in 80 thru 94 then whent to a axle disconnector on one side in 95 thru 02 with soldi front axle. But you would know this if you really had a clue.

You can get 1 mpg by driving different for one time to another or diffence in fuel density due to temp so I would not read anything in to your one MPG claim

I know you would as you are clueless and they love you for it. See us old timer that were around before you even knew what a 4x4 was know a lot more about this first hand. When I forgot to unlock my hubs on a trip on a few old trucks I had (they were new then) the lost about 1 MPG or a bit more on highway (depending on speed and losses were closer to 2 MPG or so in winter) and you could "feel" it too as it did not coast as well. Figure on a 5 to 10% increase tops with it being higher in cold weather when oil shares harder. Also I might add that we did not have 75w90 gear oil then and Tcases had gear oil too so they tended to loose more MPG than a newer one. BTW, to sell it to you as 2000 dollar kit they are going to have to promise you a lot but if you going into this expecting 2 to 4 MPG gain you are in for a big disapointment. Also if you have a big heavy truck gains will be smaller. Knock yourself but do not tell me that I do not know because I been around all kinds of 4x4 longer than you. Lock out hubs is a great idea to save a little fuel and wear and tear but before I would spend two grand for a conversion, I would swap out to a older solid axle that has been redone like new as they were very durable and had very long service lifes. It would be worth it more because you could them use off the shelve parts to maintain it instead of going from one bastard design to another non standard design too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I can get another 1 mpg by fondling the gas pedal a little lighter.......and that don't cost me anything.

I'm guessing you sell this stuff...right???

How much does this "mpg in a can" cost now??

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I just browsed your "wonder in a bottle" website. I know, I'm bored. I stopped reading after this..

quote zMAX does not replace your regular oil. And, using zMAX will not overfill your normal oil level, because it soaks into metal. unquote

So you dump 12oz of this wonder liquid into your crankcase and it doesn't overfill anything cause is disappears into the metal... What a crock of shit.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

i gotta agree with you on this one. geez, i can get one mpg by driving with the wind.

Reply to
theguy

Soaks into the metal huh? So how do you keep it from soaking through the oil pan onto the ground? :-)

Reply to
BigIronRam