E85 experience

I'm in the market for a new truck and was wondering if there is anything to beware of with the new flex fuel engines. Are they as dependable as standard
gas engines? I've been told to expect about a 15% loss in fuel mileage while running E85. I can live with that if they don't have any other problems.
Electrician wrote:

I was just wondering about that E85. I read that the E85 has some kind of acids in it that can harm a engine, that is if the engine was standard gas but if you converted it to E85. I think they have a kit for that but its about $700. How much is E85 a gallon anyway? i don't really know much about it I still have a 92' and 93' Ram.
Brian
Your ram van is NOT compatable with E85 It is very corosive, The need to modify the fuel system & You need a computer that can adjust for the different fuels
sqdancerLynn wrote:

I don't Got No Van, and I ain't going to run E85. Thats just what I read about a kit. I got a Cummins and its still a humming.
Brian
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:01:53 -0400, "sqdancerLynn"

I agree that it is not compatable but there is some misscomseptions about its corosiveness. It is no more corosive than water (actaully a bit less than water) and it is not acidic either but it is a lot more reactive with fuel line parts than gas is hence the need for higher quality fuel lines (usually stainless steel for hard piping) and "rubber" hoses compatable with alchol. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com