Edge EZ for 2006 Dodge CTD

Edge EZ for 2006 Dodge RAM 3500 CTD Automatic transmission.

A Tech/Mechanic at the delivering dealer suggested an Edge EZ Power Module for a small increase in mileage and 3 levels of power boost. I was told by the tech that while towing level 1 boot was OK, level 2 OK for short times, and to never use level 3 while towing and an EGT gauge would not be necessary. Just use tow haul mode and monitor the water temp. and use common sense and the engine and transmission would be OK .

He said that the EZ module is easy to remove and will leave no traces physical or digital, for Dodge to find and worry about ,and perhaps effect the warranty.

Does anyone know if this is true? When I went to an Edge Dealer I was told that traces would be left in the computer and what I really wanted was the Edge 'Juice with Attitude' and a new Air intake/filter assembly.

Not true, if I want anything at all, it is just the EZ Module with 2 piggyback plugs and a switch. 25/50, 45/75, and 65/150 hp/ft-lb of power boost.

What I really want is to know is this: Is the Edge EZ module worth the $390 for towing a 5th wheel up near the weight limit in the mountains of the west? And can it be removed and leave no traces? And, if so, do I need a pyro/EGT gauge to be safe in using the EZ Module if I follow the tech's advice?

Thanks, Jerry O

Reply to
Jerry Osage

I have an EGT gauge on mine, currently in stock trim and I would highly recommend you do the same. keeping an eye on the exhaust temps is always a good idea. have you tried to tow with your truck? I'm betting you will be surprised at the power. 325/610 is nothing to sneeze at and should move a fully loaded truck extremely well.

I would also recommend that you tow with the truck a few times, with the loads your talking about and decide if you really want to upgrade power levels. sounds to me like you have reservations already.

as far as if the EZ would leave traces in the ECM I don't know. I haven't ever used the EZ or had any experience with it.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

. You need a EGT gauge and a trans temp gauge.

Wrong, they leave traces

See above.

How many times are you doing this trip? Hell, stock it shuld be able to haul it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I have towed an 8000# trailer about 2500 miles with it and it had power to spare. The truck has a dealer installed exhaust brake and it works very well. I pulled the trailer from Oklahoma to northern California and the exhaust brake maintained speed on all the downgrades, except in a very few instances of traffic or very tight curves. I like that, and the fact that it is not very noisy.

Yes, I like the idea of remaining stock. That makes everything so much easier. I think I have all the truck I need, as is.

And you are right, until I tow the new Fiver for a while, I won't know for sure.

I think all I need right now is an EGT and a Transmission temp gauge. And go from there.

Thanks for the input.

Jerry O.

Reply to
Jerry Osage

Thanks, Roy, I'm taking your advice. Just the two gauges.

Roy the plan is to wander around the Northern states, west of the Mississippi in the summers, with the majority of time in the mountain states. And spend winters in southern Arizona or around Mc Allen, Texas.

I think you are right, it towed an 8000 lb trailer from Oklahoma to California like it was nothing.

Jerry O

Reply to
Jerry Osage

Jerry, The Dodge CTD is fantastic all on its own, but with a properly installed performance kit, it's even better. Whether you keep it stock or not, you need guages. They are very informative, but you need 4 guages . Fuel feed pressure, this will alert you to fuel filter issues and prevent you from destoying the high pressure pump due to primary fuel feed failures(Very expensive) Turbo boost. Important when driving for economy. EGT, This will alert you to air filter issues , induction air leaks, turbo failures and damaging engine loads. Gear box oil temp. This monitors the weakest link in the vehicle and can prevent you from destoying the transmission and will alow you limp home when failure occurs with minimal damage.

Of course, if you feel lucky, don't bother. Otherwise, guages are cheap insurance against stupid. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

As others have said, gauges are always a good idea, even on an stock truck. It's always good to know what's going on with the engine.

That said - you need to first decide if you want a reliable vehicle that you can count on to tow what you want, where you want, and any problems will be taken care of by the dealer... OR... if you're willing to assume some of the responsibility for things going wrong in order to achieve more power out of the engine. Sure, it's nice to be able to add more power, and still think that the dealer will fix it if something goes wrong. The reality is, DaimlerChrysler (as well as the other of the Big Three) are VERY aware of power-adders, and will (depending on the particular dealer's mood, whether or not a zone rep happens to be around that day, and the position of planets and stars) look long and hard at any warranty-based repair work revolving around the engine, drivetrain, and ESPECIALLY the fuel system. Nothing's written in stone... one guy could have torched his injectors by running a pressure box full-tilt, squeezeing 30kpsi out of his fuel rail. and get DC to give him six new injectors - while another guy could have a defective-from-the-factory injector that starts leaking fuel, but because the dealer sees evidence of fuel pressure tampering, hands the owner a bill for $8,000 to replace/repair the torched piston due to over-fueling. I've seen both happen before.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying tweaking your engine is a bad thing. I'm just saying that if you're going to go down that path, go into it with your eyes open, and knowing that you're assuming the added risk of footing the bill for something breaking.

And to answer the question directly: towing up near the weight limit with a modified engine, gauges are an ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence