Edge vs Hypertech

Any opinions welcome. I'm hoping those of you here have some insight for me as to which might be the better choice. First the basics - 2006 Ram 2500 QC 4X4 CTD with 3.73 limited slip rear diff. Towing 30' Jayco
TT plus lots of gear - say 8000# total in addition to the truck. I have checked the web sites for both products. Here's what I've noticed. Hypertech does not appear to have anything available for this truck yet...although I expect that will change. Hypertech makes an excellent case for being able to use their hp and torque gains while towing without damaging the rest of the drive line. Hypertech does not appear to be adjustable on-the-fly. Edge Juice with Attitude monitor is available for '06 I like the Attitude monitor - this seems to be a great interface and is capable of providing a great deal of information - boost, trans temp, egt... The safe towing limits for the Edge seem to be quite a bit lower than what Hypertech says is safe to tow with using their controller. Any input would be appreciated...time is not of the essence...I won't be buying right away...just doing my product research right now. Thanks,
Kevin

I had the hypertech on my 2003 Hemi 2500. It didn't make much difference. I tow a 14K pound 5th wheeler with my 2005 3500 Dually and see absolutely no reason to add on anything. It'll do over a hundred with that load. No ford will ever catch you. You can just drive and smile and smile and smile and smile.
Leave it alone dood.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:22:15 GMT, "MoParMaN"

i'm with you. my 5th wheel comes in at about 13 to 13.5k all loaded up. my 03 3500 srw auto pulls it fine. i have no interest in messin with the engine at all. i can pull that bad boy just about anywhere at just about any speed. if i bought a chip for it, i would just have to buy some really big expensive side view mirrors because i would want a really good view of my tranny blowing itself all over the highway behind me.

With the caveat that you don't need to do anything to the truck to have it handle an 8,000lb trailer with ease out of the way...
Edge gets the nod hands down. In-cab adjustability, monitoring of vital stats, automatic de-fueling based on those stats, and a hell of a lot more diesel experience than Hypertech.
kvand wrote:

The Edge is the best chip for the diesel. Its easy adjustable and will provide you with all the info you need. We sell more Edge products then any other brand at our shop. If you really won't some more power, you could install larger injectors, banks kits, etc.. But that would cost a purdy pennie. A chip will give you power when you need it for a good price.
Brian
How about selling all that crap and buying a decent car or bike and taking the money to motels, hotels, cabins, and even the occasional tent (last time I went camping I went with a well equipped friend - she had a dome tent that popped up in about 2 minutes of effort with no prior knowledge of how to do it, and an airbed with its own electric air pump.
Driving an overloaded pickup truck around and calling it a vacation just doesn't sound like fun to me. It sounds like being an unpaid truck driver to me.
Hell, for the price you paid for all that, you could have picked up a 2-man helicopter that got about equally pathetic fuel economy.
JS
PS - on my last vacation I learned the art of getting good motel prices. You call first, tell them you're shopping around on price and availability, then show up a few minutes later. If you show up and ask the price is *always* higher, usually by 25% or more.
kvand wrote:

hmmm funny i get 19 with the way i drive, if more conservitive i can get 20 or so. on a vacation, have more leg room and a more comfortable ride than the little econobox junk. or heck if we wanna take a smaller vehicle we dont have to fire the big Cummins up! that liberty isnt a bad ride on a trip either, and still has the leg room i want up front not to mention 30 mpg highway. and as far as overloading. thats totally up to the operator, but 14k (there abouts i believe it is) is gross trailer rating on my 3/4 ton and it will pull it anywhere no questions asked. and be a cake walk to drive. not to mention haul the whole family, the dog, and a cooler comfortably. now that being said. 8k may be enough to make a 1/2 ton wish it had never heard of a trailer hitch. but a Cummins powered 3/4 like the ops wont even notice it.
tent camp if you want, i do too. but the point is....you dont have to drive the econobox junk gas bunners to get good gas milage.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

Let the girlfriend do all the work, then you can be the bitch