EGR Valves

Page 1 of 2
Would a 98' Dogde Ram 1500 have an EGR Valve?

--
snipped-for-privacy@duffertech.com

Yes
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own

Ummm... no. I think EGR went away after '97. I did a plenum gasket repair on a friend's '98, and there was no EGR.
The 97's don't have one either. The Diesel did in 97 but I doubt that you are going to find one of those in a 1500 series.

"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

EGR on a 12-valve? Really?

According to the FSM it does. I know that my 97 doesn't (had to make the same plenum gasket repair) but looked in the FSM to see of there were any versions that did before replying. The only mention of an EGR was for the diesel with the California emissions package.

Then the reality is the diesel did NOT have an EGR unless it was CA equipped. Dodge and Cummins have said they were looking into this for the federal emissions, but never did. The reasoning is fairly simple. The engine is turbocharged.
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own
It still doesn't change the fact that the only Ram with a EGR valve was if it had a diesel and California or not, that engine was not available in the 1500 series.

"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
Yes, but that is not an ISB engine, nor a 12v 5.9.
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own
And the two engins you mentioned were not Magnum engines so what exactly is your point?

"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
Interesting, since the 4.7 and 5.7 both have one in 2005.
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own
Too bad neither of these engines were available in 1998.

"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

Yep... keeping up with emissions regs. is a royal PITA. Isn't it funny we're all humped up over a tiny fraction of a percent of emissions, when one good belch from a volcano dwarfs the nastiness produced by all our autos?
Not to mention all the coal you and your buddies to the west burn to make electrons move, and let all the by-products waft over my house. Thanks a LOT, Max... :)

Wait a sec. Don't you live in NJ?<G>
Hey, we've got nukes here too. In fact, the nearest nuclear generating plant is looking to add two reactors in the next ten years.
As for the coal, the nearest coal plant to me has built a huge facility to pull all the solids out of hte exhaust and make it into gypsum board by sending it across the road to USGypsum.
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own

And once again, you would be wrong.

No, it does not. What symptoms are you having?

"Gina" < snipped-for-privacy@bogus-mail.com> wrote in message
Stalling issues. Idles fine around 700 rpms but let it down below that and it stallls. had heard from a friend to see if I have a bad EGR Valve.

There could be a few things causing that. The first thing that comes to mind is the IAC motor, the second is a dirty throttle body, and the last is an old battery. The computer uses the IAC motor to control the idle speed of the engine and if it is stuck in the fully closed position, the engine will stall when you take your foot off of the throttle. Another problem could be that the throttle body is so dirty that the passage that the IAC valve uses to let in the idle air could be blocked enough not to let in enough air for the engine to idle even with the IAC valve fully open. The last thing sounds a bit wierd but we have seen quite a few cases of it in here. When a battery gets old, its voltage drops off and that seems to be a big problem for the engine computer. The battery also serves as a filter of sorts to remove the voltage ripple comming from the altermator while charging which also diminishes a bit when the battery gets older. Now I don't know if it is the lower voltage, the increased ripple, or a combination of both, but whatever it is, many of the computers seem to get confused by it which causes stalling at idle. The fact that you have such a solid point of stalling indicates a problem with the throttle body either being clogged or a bad IAC (also in the throttle body) but if the battery is over 5 years old, I would look into replacing that as well.

"Gina" < snipped-for-privacy@bogus-mail.com> wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 04:50:11 -0700, Gina wrote:

sounds like a IAC motor. foot on the gas it runs fine, off the gas and it dies... let me guess the battery has either recently died or been disconnected.
--
Chris