EGT Gauge Readings

I put the EGT Gauge in this weekend, and took a trip to see Mom about 50 miles away. Readings were in the 600 degree range and jumped up to the

900-1000 range when I jumped on it to get on the freeway or jumping from 60-80 MPH. After I settled in on a speed, the temps dropped back to around 600 if I was around 70MPH or 650-700 at 80MPH.

After getting high temps (1100 was the highest for a few seconds) and then letting off the fuel to keep a steady speed, the temps dropped to 600 within seconds. Sitting with a warmed up engine at the traffic light, the temp is around 300.

Since this is my first EGT experience, is this normal? Its an '03 HO with a

6sp.
Reply to
FMB

Absolutely normal. Where'd you end up putting your thermocouple?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

As you look at the exhaust manifold from the right fender, it points down at the turbo. I imagined that portion pointing down as having the divider down the middle, so went 1/2 way to the left (rear) of that divider, and about

3/4" above the flange. The prob is horizontal.

I'm going to order that Banjo bolt from Geno's today, and hopefully it will get here by Friday as I'm leaving for my AK trip on Saturday for 6 weeks. In the other thread, you said to put this on the supply line to the CP3 pump, so that is where it will go.

Thank you for the assistance you have provided.

Reply to
FMB

Good - then you're reading the hotter of the cylinders. (#5 and #6 usually run the hottest)

Yep. When looking from the left (driver's) fender, you want the top-left-most banjo bolt - the line that comes in from the right, loops around the top of the pump, and bolts down. It's the line that comes from the bottom of the fuel filter canister.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Your readings are normal. If you are installing a fuel pressure guage, I recommend an isolator so fuel does not enter the passenger compartment. They are inexpensive and easy to install . Their use eliminates a significant fire hazard. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Thanks Steve,

I have the gauge, isolater and am now awaiting a special Banjo bolt.

Reply to
FMB

I just went out to take a look, and it seems to be the most convienient location. I called Jeno's this morning and they are going to rush the part out (3 day) so it should be here Thursday and I'll install it that evening when I get home. Cutting it close here.

He suggested I go to Napa and pick up a Grease Gun Hose for the connection between the Banjo Bolt and the isolator. He said Jeno's will have that part in just over a week, but hell, in just over a week I'll be somewhere in BC on the way to the Yukon and Alaska with my 5th Wheel.

Reply to
FMB

You could do that - it's just a rubber hose with 1/8"-NPT fittings on each end. If you look at the picture of my isolator, I just used a brass 1/8"NPT to 1/8" compression fitting on each end (pump side and isolator), and ran a length of 1/8" plastic tubing (should have come with the gauge). This way, you're not limited to the length of the grease gun hose.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

You know, I was going to use the excess that came with the gauge, but although it said it could be used with oil, to not use it for fuel. The Geno guy said the same, but the HO's fuel is more like a light oil than a gasoline. I just want it to work forever and never leave me stranded (sounds like my wife).

Reply to
FMB

I've been using it for well over a year... not a problem.

It won't ever leave you stranded. Heck, if you want, carry an 1/8" pipe plug with you. If anything ever happens with the fuel isolator/gauge, just remove the line from the tapped banjo, and plug it with the pipe plug.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Good enough for me, Tom, thanks.

Reply to