Engine does not reach running temperature

Threaded View

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup.  I have recently replaced the
thermostat because my temperature gauge never got above 135-140
degrees.  I installed a 195 degree thermostat and STILL the temperature
of the engine does not go beyond about 140.  Any ideas?  Could the
thermostat I installed also be bad?

Re: Engine does not reach running temperature

What are you using to measure the temperature? Or, are you believing the
dash gauge?

Al

Re: Engine does not reach running temperature

I am believing the dash gauge.  What other way is there to measure
temperature?

Re: Engine does not reach running temperature

Thermorature

Re: Engine does not reach running temperature

    I think he means Thermometer :)

    Get the engine up to operating temp (or pretty close) with the radiator cap
off.
  Don't rev the engine, or you'll get wet.  When the dash gauge gets to 140*,
stick a
thermometer in there and see what you get.

    If the gauge is reading low, that could be a problem.  If the computer
thinks
it's still cold, it will run rich and you'll waste fuel, burn out the cats, and
foul
the plugs.   How to check the computer, you ask?  I don't know.

--
.boB
Arrived:  2006 FXDI, Red.

Thanks!  I'll do that today and report back.

Site Timeline