Engine does not reach running temperature

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup. I have recently replaced the thermostat because my temperature gauge never got above 135-140 degrees. I installed a 195 degree thermostat and STILL the temperature of the engine does not go beyond about 140. Any ideas? Could the thermostat I installed also be bad?

What are you using to measure the temperature? Or, are you believing the dash gauge?

Al

I am believing the dash gauge. What other way is there to measure temperature?

Thermorature

GeekBoy wrote:

I think he means Thermometer :)

Get the engine up to operating temp (or pretty close) with the radiator cap off. Don't rev the engine, or you'll get wet. When the dash gauge gets to 140*, stick a thermometer in there and see what you get.

If the gauge is reading low, that could be a problem. If the computer thinks it's still cold, it will run rich and you'll waste fuel, burn out the cats, and foul the plugs. How to check the computer, you ask? I don't know.

--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Thanks! I'll do that today and report back.