Engine light 01 Dakota

I had the local Auto Zone run a check on it. They said it was a code p0161 which means: O2 sensor Heater circuit malfunction (bank 2 sensor 2).
They said it was the O2 sensor that is behind the Catalyctic converter.
Well, there is no sensor behind or aft of the converter. So, which one is it? I have 2 sensors on the exhaust system. One on each side (bank) before it joins into one pipe before the converter. Are they both the same sensor?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hank <~~~~totally confused by todays electronics
Ask the autoparts store. They're probably the same part number. Buy one. Trial and error.
Or replace both.
-rev
Rev writes: Ask the autoparts store. They're probably the same part number. Buy one. Trial and error.
Or replace both.
-rev
I could do this for sure, but I am from the school of finding out what is truly wrong and how to fix it.
Thanks anyway,
Hank <~~~not a parts changer
You know that one of the two sensors is bad. You can spend hours tracking down the error code to determine which one of the two is bad. Or you can replace one. If it doesn't fix it, put the old one back in and replace the other one.
Or, since you're probably 100k miles past the reasonable service life of a thin platinum wire that lives in the exhaust stream, you can just replace both and move on to something more interesting.
-rev <~~~parts changer who's time is worth more than a $25 sensor
Rev writes: You know that one of the two sensors is bad. You can spend hours tracking down the error code to determine which one of the two is bad. Or you can replace one. If it doesn't fix it, put the old one back in and replace the other one.
Or, since you're probably 100k miles past the reasonable service life of a thin platinum wire that lives in the exhaust stream, you can just replace both and move on to something more interesting.
-rev <~~~parts changer who's time is worth more than a $25 sensor
Ninebal310 responds with:
First, let me apologize if I offended you.
Second, since I am not sure either sensor is bad (since the diagnostic readout says it is the post-cat sensor, and I don't have a post-cat sensor) I don't want to replace or waste my time replacing one or both.
Third, the motor only has 38k miles. I bought it new, so I know that is true.
Fourth, the sensor that the diagnostics says is bad costs $139.00 not $25.00.
Fifth, this is a learning experience for me.
Sixth, Thanks for your response.
Hank <~~has more time than money and loves to learn
Are you sure that there is no sensor behind the converter. It could be on top of the pipe and sometimes it is actually on the very tail of the converter itself (again on the top).

< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Tbone Writes: Are you sure that there is no sensor behind the converter. It could be on top of the pipe and sometimes it is actually on the very tail of the converter itself (again on the top).
Yes, I am sure. I have "cat-back" dual exhaust. But thanks for asking.
Has anybody tried the "sensor imitator". I guess it is suppose to ACT like the O2 sensor, but isn't. If you have tried it, does it work?
Also, what happens if you just disconnect the sensor? Is there a way to test the sensor?
Thanks,
Hank
If you say so but that really doesn't make sense. The error code you are getting indicates a post converter sensor so your vehicle thinks it is or was there. Bank 2 IIRC refers to the passenger side and sensor 2 refers to the downstream sensor or post converter. Without a sensor behind or attached to the converter, how does the PCM know if the converter is functioning properly? Where did you get this cat-back dual exhaust? If you disconnect either sensor, you will get additional diag codes. You could try replacing the passenger side sensor but I doubt that it will correct the problem. When did the light come on in relation to your installation of your dual exhaust? I would also take another look at that converter for that sensor.

< snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Tbone writes: If you say so but that really doesn't make sense. The error code you are getting indicates a post converter sensor so your vehicle thinks it is or was there. Bank 2 IIRC refers to the passenger side and sensor 2 refers to the downstream sensor or post converter. Without a sensor behind or attached to the converter, how does the PCM know if the converter is functioning properly? Where did you get this cat-back dual exhaust? If you disconnect either sensor, you will get additional diag codes. You could try replacing the passenger side sensor but I doubt that it will correct the problem. When did the light come on in relation to your installation of your dual exhaust? I would also take another look at that converter for that sensor.
-- I agree that it doesn't make sense. I had the Cat-back exhaust put on about a year ago. The light didn't come on until the last month. The truck only has 38K miles on it. I installed new Bosch Platinum plugs also. But that was AFTER the light came on.
I have the 4.7 V-8. 2001 Dakota SLT. Is there a web site or anybody that can tell me that it definately came with a post cat. sensor? If it did, why so long for the light to come on? I am soooooooo confused. :-)
I will crawl under it again and check for any wiring, plugs or sensor. I have made mistakes in the past, just not many.....LOL.
Thanks
Hank <~~~easily confused
Tbone writes: Are you sure that there is no sensor behind the converter. It could be on top of the pipe and sometimes it is actually on the very tail of the converter itself (again on the top).
I checked again. There is no sensor on or behind the cat. The original exhaust extends 3 feet past the cat before the duals split. I even checked for any type of wiring that may have been there before, no wiring.
If I get time next week, I may end up taking it in. I hate to do this....LOL
Thanks again,
Hank <~~~Hates lawyers more than dealerships