engine light 03' dodge ram

I've been drivivg trucks for years on the job but never owned one. I've just purchased a 2003 Ram 1500 4x4 & LOVE IT. It's a pleasure to drive! One Problem though. Check Engine Light comes on after getting gas.
Still has some factory warrenty left but I'm getting tired of taking it back to the dealer to get light turned off. Remove battery cable & light goes out & everything's fine until the next time I get gas! I think rubber seal on the gas cap is a bet weathered. I've applied a bit of grease to the seal as this should soften the rubber a bit and help it seal. Also, when the gas cap is tightened, I apply downward pressure to it, this enables it to be tighten a little more....
Get a new gas cap, it is not sealing properly which is causing the emissions system to code.

I had the same problem with my 2003 1500. It came with a locking gas cap. I found that I had to turn it almost a complete 360 degrees in order to assure the cap was sealed. It amazed me that something as simple as a gas cap can cause an engine to run rough these days. I remember, when I first started driving, of seeing people with pieces of cloth sticking out of their filler cap! I'd suggest spending the money on a new cap.
M2CW, Hawkeye65
Ok, I don't mind spending money on a gas cap, especially if it solves the problem, that would be great! One question though. Do I have to return to the dealer or can I go to any automotive supply shop (Canadian Tire) and get a replacement???
If you want the factory cap, then you need to go to the dealer but any automotive supply shop should have the correct replacement.
< snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

If the Check Engine Light comes on, it will set a code in the computer. Pull the code and post it here. To pull the code, do the following without starting the engine: turn the key to the run position, off, run, off, run. Do it fairly quick. When you are done, the codes will show in the Odometer as the letter P followed by 4 digits. Write them all down. When its done, it will read 'Done'.
FMB (North Mexico)
Hi FMB,
Damn I love this group for stuff like this. Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge.
I have a 1995 which I think is the OBD-I system. Is there a way to read codes on it without a code reader?
Thanks
Dave
FMB wrote:

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/pcm_fault_code.htm
Hi Tom,
Thanks very much. Excellent web site. I will go count flashing lights in the morning.
Dave