Engine noise on hard acceleration

Ok here is what is going on. On a hard acceleration uphill, there is an intermitant rattle noise coming from either the driver side or the front of my motor. I have a '99 Ram 1500 4x4 with an 5.8L (119k),
extended cab short bed. I am wondering if it is a crankcase sensor or maybe the timing chain (hasn't been replaced yet)? Does anyone have any ideas on other things to check on?
rogers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Try premium gas.
--
Ken

I also forgot that my truck is sluggish off the line, even without the nosie. Also when the noise is there, it is between 2300 and 3500 rpm.

from experience. check the catalytic converter. mine always sound like there is som kind of trouble with the engine then i start losing power. the good thing is that old converters are worth cash now. michael

Noise travels. Could be your cat.

Sounds like a classic ping caused by bad or too low octane fuel.
Ed

You may want to check this service bulletin. Fixed my ping problem on a '99 5.2. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98.htm
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 17:59:52 +0000, GordG wrote:

could also be the plenum pan gasket. sucking oil out of the crankcase causing a detonation event. (spark knock)
--
Chris

Sounds like an exhaust manifold gas leak. Could be cracked or warped. It is very common. Look for flame tracks around the ports and for cracks in the manifold casting. Steve