error code for 97 ram

Page 1 of 2
I get the following trouble code when driving, it returns when I clear it out P0132 - O2 Sensor circuit, high voltage (cylinder bank no. 1, sensor no. 1)
I also get the error code 21
Now, I would assume that this means I have a bad o2 sensor, but if that is the case, would it be the pre-cat sensor, or the post-cat sensor?
When searching online, someone said that code could mean a bad catalytic converter. Is that also a possibility?
Thanks in advance
If it is the downstream sensor then it could be indicating a bad converter. but bank 1 sensor 1 indicates that it is an upstream o2 sensor and would not be able to indicate the converters condition.

"greechneb" < snipped-for-privacy@example.com> wrote in message
I would assume that with a bad o2 sensor, it would decrease my mileage? Any recommendations on the best place to get a replacement?
TBone wrote:

--
Get a free Apple Mini Mac
http://www.freeminimacs.com/?r=14466563

"greechneb" < snipped-for-privacy@example.com> wrote in message
wrong again, asshat
an O2 sensor outputs HIGH VOLTS when the difference between inside and outside O2 levels is maximum, ZERO VOLTS when they are the same
so high volts would mean there is NO O2 in the exhaust stream, hence it is running very rich ALREADY

would

$10 says he comes back with, "when I said 'reads high', I was referring to the amount of O2 detected, not the voltage it puts out"
Still feeling the need to be an asshole, huh

"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Whats the matter Gary, still upset over the torque converter?

You are wrong as well Asswipe. While you are correct on the response for oxygen content, it does not compare the outside to the exhausr stream. It looks at the % content of oxygen in the exhaust stream only.

Not always. If the senssor is always high or high as in above expected voltages, the computer will flag it as a problem which in this case it did, and go into open loop mode which just about always results in lower mileage although sometimes in more power as well.

And that batting average continues to dwindle. From http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html :
"An Oxygen sensor is a chemical generator. It is constantly making a comparison between the Oxygen inside the exhaust manifold and air outside the engine."

Nope. It compares the oxygen content of the exhaust to ambient. That is why you never repair the wiring harness to an oxygen sensor. The typical four wire sensor gets its outside air thru the harness. If you taped/sealed/heat shrinked the harness, you'd ruin the sensor. Ask me if I learned this the hard way a bunch of years ago..
Denny

for
It
why
taped/sealed/heat
I would rather take your word for it than learn this one the hard way.

and
solid
conductive
is
expected
and
is
that
because it has TWO O2 sensors, you dumb fuck
one on each bank

response
stream.
Due
degrees
the
side
in
of
hence
it
as
wrong
No it doesn't you dumb fuck. It has 2 sensors but they are pre and post converter, not one on each bank. The pre-catalyst sensor is responsible for mixture and the post-catalyst monitors the converter. Now who is the one that just doesn't get it? I think that you need to crack those books again, loser. Speaking of converters, I see that you deleted my question about you admitting to your error on TC fluid flow. I guess that you simply decided that it was easier to be a little pussy that stand up and be a man for a change. I sure hope that you don't have kids.

Well, actually you [insert derogatory name of your choice], it depends on what engine it has (which I don't believe was ever mentioned in this thread) - if it's a 3.9L, 5.2L, or a 5.9L light-duty (ie. 1500-series), then there's one upstream and one downstream. If it's a 5.9L heavy-duty-cycle (in a 2500 or 3500), or a V10 (HDC, ie. federal emissions), then there's one sensor per cylinder bank, both of them pre-cat.
If it's a MDC V10 (ie. CA emissions), then there's FOUR sensors - one in each down pipe, one pre-cat, and one post-cat.
So - in one scenario, you're correct. In two other scenarios, Gary's correct. Gotta give the point to Gary on this one for being correct in a greater number of cases.

then
one
The funny thing is that DC doesn't seem to define it quite the way you have above. As for the V8's, they do in fact as you stated declare them as LCD and HDC for light and heavy duty EMISSION cycle, they define the HDC engines as being identified by having an air injection pump, not by the series truck it is in and would indicate that the LDC and MDC engine can be in just about any model. So unless your V10 has an air injection pump, it should also have 4 sensors according to the FSM. As you know, unlike you, I don't own my own personal fleet of these vehicles and need to depend on the FSM for this type of information.

Which would discount this one since it has F O U R sensors, not two as Gary claimed.

Wrong!!!! In one senerio I am correct, in the second Gary would be and in the third, neither of us would.

Then you would be in error as well. Welcome to the club :-)

which it does... as do all Federal Emissions V10s, and thus it has two sensors. CA emissions V10's do not (go figure...), and have 4 sensors.

You can look at your books all you want... want a picture from underneath my truck to confirm?

Then stop spouting off like you know all there is to know, and allow for the fact that people with more EXPERIENCE than you (someone that works on vehicles for a living, let's say) might just have seen a little more, and know a little more, than you have learned from all your READING.

Okay - a tie goes to the one with more experience. Gary still wins the point.

Why would I want that. I have no reason not to believe you.

for
the
Perhaps because some people in here have a bit of an attitude problem that even exceeds mine at my worst.

in
LOL, gee, like I expected anything different form you.

You dispute everything else, now you have no reason not to believe him? Holy crap, where are the demands for proof otherwise you are "right, again"?

Hell, stop spouting off like its a crime to own a fleet of vehicles.

Thats funny, really......
--
Max

Is this more of your senseless ramblings in some lame attempt to make me dance. Sorry Max, all you are really doing is getting your strings tangled, puppet boy.

"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

Wait, Tbone's wrong again, is anyone surprised?
--
Max