error code for 97 ram

I get the following trouble code when driving, it returns when I clear it out P0132 - O2 Sensor circuit, high voltage (cylinder bank no. 1, sensor no. 1) I also get the error code 21

Now, I would assume that this means I have a bad o2 sensor, but if that is the case, would it be the pre-cat sensor, or the post-cat sensor?

When searching online, someone said that code could mean a bad catalytic converter. Is that also a possibility?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
greechneb

If it is the downstream sensor then it could be indicating a bad converter. but bank 1 sensor 1 indicates that it is an upstream o2 sensor and would not be able to indicate the converters condition.

Reply to
TBone

Code 21 is the generic keyswitch flash code while P0132 is the corresponding specific code. 21 is telling you have an O2 sensor problem, the P0132 tells you which one (Pre-Cat).

If you're the original owner of that '97 Ram and have never had the CAT replaced under the original FEDERALLY MANDATED 8-yr/80,000 mile Federal Emissions Warranty, then most likely it needs to be replaced (in addition to replacing the pre-cat O2 sensor).

I honestly believe every catalytic convertor on every single '96 and '97 RAM 1500 failed (rotted/rusted out usually) long before 80k miles but sadly not many owners were aware of the federal 8/80 emissions warranty so most either ate the cost or never replaced them until they had to when the truck failed an emissions test somewhere. Mine went at 58k miles and the dealership replaced the CAT along with the Y-Pipe under the emissions warranty. They didn't do the work at the dealership, but rather sublet it to an independent muffler shop.

Reply to
RamMan

Reply to
greechneb

If it is reading high, it can cause your mileage to drop because the computer will think that you are running lean and richen the mixture to the max.. They are available at most auto parts stores

Reply to
TBone

Mine bombed out at 79,800 and started to rattle. I was real lucky that it started making noise when it did or I would have been paying out the big bucks. I brought the truck in for the hood latch recall and asked then to check it for me and they replaced it on the spot. I was surprised and impressed and if I still lived in NJ, that is where I would be buying my next car.

Reply to
TBone

Reply to
RamMan

wrong again, asshat

an O2 sensor outputs HIGH VOLTS when the difference between inside and outside O2 levels is maximum, ZERO VOLTS when they are the same

so high volts would mean there is NO O2 in the exhaust stream, hence it is running very rich ALREADY

Reply to
TranSurgeon

$10 says he comes back with, "when I said 'reads high', I was referring to the amount of O2 detected, not the voltage it puts out"

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Whats the matter Gary, still upset over the torque converter?

You are wrong as well Asswipe. While you are correct on the response for oxygen content, it does not compare the outside to the exhausr stream. It looks at the % content of oxygen in the exhaust stream only.

Not always. If the senssor is always high or high as in above expected voltages, the computer will flag it as a problem which in this case it did, and go into open loop mode which just about always results in lower mileage although sometimes in more power as well.

Reply to
TBone

And that batting average continues to dwindle. From

: "An Oxygen sensor is a chemical generator. It is constantly making a comparison between the Oxygen inside the exhaust manifold and air outside the engine."

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Nope. It compares the oxygen content of the exhaust to ambient. That is why you never repair the wiring harness to an oxygen sensor. The typical four wire sensor gets its outside air thru the harness. If you taped/sealed/heat shrinked the harness, you'd ruin the sensor. Ask me if I learned this the hard way a bunch of years ago..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Still feeling the need to be an asshole, huh

Reply to
TBone

taped/sealed/heat

I would rather take your word for it than learn this one the hard way.

Reply to
TBone

because it has TWO O2 sensors, you dumb f*ck

one on each bank

Reply to
TranSurgeon

No it doesn't you dumb f*ck. It has 2 sensors but they are pre and post converter, not one on each bank. The pre-catalyst sensor is responsible for mixture and the post-catalyst monitors the converter. Now who is the one that just doesn't get it? I think that you need to crack those books again, loser. Speaking of converters, I see that you deleted my question about you admitting to your error on TC fluid flow. I guess that you simply decided that it was easier to be a little pussy that stand up and be a man for a change. I sure hope that you don't have kids.

Reply to
TBone

Well, actually you [insert derogatory name of your choice], it depends on what engine it has (which I don't believe was ever mentioned in this thread) - if it's a 3.9L, 5.2L, or a 5.9L light-duty (ie. 1500-series), then there's one upstream and one downstream. If it's a 5.9L heavy-duty-cycle (in a 2500 or 3500), or a V10 (HDC, ie. federal emissions), then there's one sensor per cylinder bank, both of them pre-cat.

If it's a MDC V10 (ie. CA emissions), then there's FOUR sensors - one in each down pipe, one pre-cat, and one post-cat.

So - in one scenario, you're correct. In two other scenarios, Gary's correct. Gotta give the point to Gary on this one for being correct in a greater number of cases.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

The funny thing is that DC doesn't seem to define it quite the way you have above. As for the V8's, they do in fact as you stated declare them as LCD and HDC for light and heavy duty EMISSION cycle, they define the HDC engines as being identified by having an air injection pump, not by the series truck it is in and would indicate that the LDC and MDC engine can be in just about any model. So unless your V10 has an air injection pump, it should also have 4 sensors according to the FSM. As you know, unlike you, I don't own my own personal fleet of these vehicles and need to depend on the FSM for this type of information.

Which would discount this one since it has F O U R sensors, not two as Gary claimed.

Wrong!!!! In one senerio I am correct, in the second Gary would be and in the third, neither of us would.

Then you would be in error as well. Welcome to the club :-)

Reply to
TBone

Wait, Tbone's wrong again, is anyone surprised?

Reply to
Max Dodge

How quick you are to jump the gun, not surprising though.

Reply to
TBone