Ever seen this problem before?

I have a 1991 Dodge B250 van, and sometimes my spedometer won't go above 40 mph no matter how fast the van is going. Whenever this happens, the engine starts running really hot. I don't have a tachometer, but it
feels and sounds like the rpm's are high, but I have no problem making highway speeds. It's an intermittent thing, and happens maybe one time out of ten that I use the van. Any ideas? Thanks!
Are you sure that your transmission is shifting through all the gears?

Philip Mc wrote:

I think that's what it is. I originally thought it wasn't the tranny because I was reaching highway speeds smoothly, but as I pay more attention to the sound and feel of the engine, I think I'm missing top gear. This on a rebuilt transmission that's less than two years old (but out of warranty, of course). >:-( It's in the shop now.