Exhaust Cutout

I have a 92' Ram with the 318 engine. I have a flowmaster muffler on it which sounds pretty good. I'm looking to put an exhaust cutout between the muffler and cat. Just wondering if any one else has this
setup on there ram or dakota. If so what changes in power and gas mpg did you see? Also what kind of sound does the cutout create.
Thanks

It sounds pretty much like a straight exhaust pipe. And it changes the jetting and back pressure, making cooking a valve more likely.
Steve

The muffler and cat is near the rear axle on the truck. It should't suck any air to damage the valves from back there, should it? I live out in the country and we don't really have to worry about vehicle nosie laws, but it seems that the cat would help to quiet it down. What MPG improvment should I see? Thanks again
Probably none at all.
"brian" < snipped-for-privacy@skybest.com> wrote in message

no fuel mileage or horsepower change unless it is for the worse. without some back pressure from the muffler your truck is going to run very poorly. the attempt will be a waste of time and money. michael

Yup. We used to do this on our hot rod Chevies. Some cutouts had a pull cable on it like a choke so we could go past the local root beer stand and make noise like a bunch of young gorillas.
You sound like you are going faster, and have more power, but that's all. And if you run them long without changing jetting, you'll fry something, especially with today's sensors and computers and picky systems.
But if you want to look cool and sound cool and be cool for a while, go for it.
Steve
PS: the cops hate it and write you a big ticket or tow your car the first time they hear it.