expected data 46RE governor pressure solenoid/sensor

2000 Dodge 1500 conversion van with 5.2L 46RE 3.55 and 96k miles

Typical 46RE shifting symptoms.. jumps between 1-2 when shifting from 1 to 2 holds the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift (will hold the 2-3 shift very long, I usually let off the gas until it shifts) engine will sometimes 'flare' during shift, will rev up until shift is complete. shifts feel 'soft'

using a Snap-On Modis scanner, looking at

desired gov pressure actual gov pressure governor duty cycle pressure sensor voltage

** readings**

pressure sensor voltage stays around 0.45v - doesn't change (this might be a failure of the scan tool to read)

desired & actual gov pressure stay pretty equal through 1st and 2nd gear, governor duty cycle is around 25-30

When it shifts into 3rd gear, the desired gov pressure reads 127psi, the actual runs from 40-70psi depending on road speed (goes up as road speed increases) and duty cycle goes to 1. To me, it sounds like the PCM is asking for more pressure, the governor solenoid goes to full open, but can't attain desired pressure. Desired pressure also seems high.. over 100psi?

My plans are to measure some pressures, check for good power and grounds, drop the pan, change the filter, pull the governor solenoid and look at the screens for trash. Adjust the bands and see what happens.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Jim

Reply to
2servman

Also.. no trouble codes.

Jim

Reply to
2servman

SNIP

Has the trans ever been serviced? Clogged filter and band adjustment along with faulty front clutch seals could cause the symptoms noted.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Just bought the van; no service records available. It _does_ feel like it could be a symptom of long overdue servicing needed.. that's why I was going to do that first before dropping $150 into solenoid and sensor. Thanks for the response..

Jim

Reply to
2servman

Did the trans service Saturday.. dropped the pan, new filter, adjusted the bands. Seems to shift 'correctly' now.. I'll drive it some more and see what happens. I also plan to put it back on the scanner and see what the data looks like.

While I was working on it, a guy who does some trans work in the area saw my printout on adjusting the bands.. told me to forget about what it said; that he just sticks a screwdriver up into the rear adjuster to hold it tight and adjusts the adjuster 1/4 turn loose.

I chose to follow the factory adjustments..

Jim

Reply to
2servman