extra fuel tank in 2500?

Is it possible to add a second fuel tank under the bed like you sometimes see with Fords? If so, is it an aftermarket deal or an oem deal? Thanks.

Reply to
James Douglas

Aftermarket. See

for options

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have a transferflow tank underneath.

54 gallons and a monster. It runs from the rear axle to the transmission and has quite low clearance compared to the rest of the truck.

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

how much lower does it hang over the stock 35 gal? is that kind of upgrade worth it?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Not sure about the OEM. Last time I had one was in a 99. I currently have 2000 2500 4x2 club cab. Where the bed meets the cab the tank drops 6 inches below the frame and 9 inches of clearance from the ground. It is made of steel and quite solid. Ran about $1200 plus install.

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

Oh yeah..

With current prices it costs around $150 to fill up and I get about 1000 highway miles on a tank of fuel on current axle gears. The truck originally came with 3.53 gears and I think 3.73 or 3.77 were put on it reducing fuel economy down to 21 MPG.

I want to go back to the orginal gears if I can find them somewhere and get

25 MPG. With that I could then get 1300 highway miles on a tank of fuel. The original owner was doing a lot of towing. I have no plans for towing for a long while.

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

thats really not bad. im currently spending well over $75 to fill up and getting 19.5 mpg for around 500 to 550 miles per tank (depends on how low i run it). ive seen this upgrade mentioned before and was curious as to wiether or not it would be worth it. the extra range would be nice when towing cross country but i wonder if i do enough of it to make it a worth while investment.

thanks for the info.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

The way I see it you have to think just beyond more range for towing. Also think natural disasters. When those hurricanes struck last year all of a sudden everyone was filling up and no new trucks were coming to replenish stocks. Many people were running out of fuel. With that extra fuel, if you keep the tank full always, be rest assured you can make out of the area. Can't put a price on the safety of your family.

GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

Here is the link to the tank:

It seems the 2003 and up get a bit of a larger tank by 2 gallons.

Reply to
GeekBoy