FINALLY!!!! a good decision

Page 1 of 6
WASHINGTON - District of Columbia officials warned a federal appeals court Monday that its rejection of the city's handgun ban creates a precedent that
could severely limit gun control. A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled 2-1 last month that some of the district's gun control provisions are unconstitutional. The court rejected the city's argument that the Second Amendment right to bear arms applies only to state militias. It was the first time a federal appeals court struck down gun control regulations on Second Amendment grounds.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18026496 /
found this on one of the RSS feeds. finally someone can actually read and understand what the second amendment says!!! YAY!
Chris
05 CTD
Chris Thompson wrote:

There has been countless debate on what the meaning of the 2nd amendment is. I'm not sure the intent of the writers was such that individuals could have guns for the purpose of protecting themselves from each other. Maybe thats what it should have said but it doesn't seem that was the intent of those that wrote the amendment.
I disagree with those that want to take guns away. However, I also don't like those that seem to promote gun ownership with the idea that they cut crime.
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 06:13:43 -0700, miles wrote:

i can appreciate your opinion. but at the same time we have to realize that "If we outlaw guns, then the only people with guns are the outlaws."
as far as gun ownership cutting crime, yea i believe to a degree it does, lets be honest. if your a crook and you've got a choice between a house where you KNOW there are probably firearms and a house where you KNOW there aren't.. your going to rob the house without cause you don't want to get shot either!
Chris
05 CTD

Very true. As thought. If a teacher had a gun at one of those school shooting the lose of life may have been less. But I am also in favor of big time background checks before a gun is sold. Further the person that buys a gun should be required to complete a course on the use of it.

I like the way that they do it here in AZ, well at least in the South Eastern part of it. When you go in to buy a hand gun, there is no "cooling off" period, they run you right on the spot and if you have any DV related conviction, a TRO of any kind, warrant for arrest regardless of issuing state, etc. they tell you have a nice day! Now, I agree 100% with Roy about a manditory class, that would be great.

I can support the requirement for training when it comes to carrying in public - just like we require training for people to operate a motor vehicle on the public highways. However, you're free to drive your vehicle around on your own property all you want.... shouldn't be any different for guns.
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:57:08 +0000, Tom Lawrence wrote:

i could agree on this point whole heartedly
Chris
05 CTD

The argument against this will be that the gun can project power beyond the property line without going beyond the property line.
Here in PA, we're facing legislation that would levy a $10 yearly fee on each gun, not owner, EACH gun that a person owns. This is being pushed by the democrats from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in an effort to cut down on "illegal guns". To which I say, "Um, guys... if they are already illegal.... why would a fee on legal guns change that?"
Looks like I'm going to become an illegal gun owner.
--
Max

the
illegal....
I think that would be a good idea. The fee is not huge but big enough to prevent people form collecting huge numbers of guns that tend to get lost and become "illegal guns". It forces people to take responsibility for the weapons that they aquire.

You might want to make it a point NOT to admit to possible crimes in a public forum. Something tells me that if they pass this, the next one will be severe punnishments for those that do not follow the rules.

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:14:17 -0400, "TBone"

The problem with a fee is it becomes a defacto annual gun registration program which I oppose in any situation. What makes you think a criminal would comply in any way with this? I think it would simply produce more criminals of otherwise decent citizens who believe the second amendment is exactly what it says it is.
Lugnut

The problem here as it has been stated MANY times in this thread, as well as in ANY thread we have had where gun control has come up is plain and simple, yet a lot of your liberals and who ever want to ignore and over look. NO CRIMINAL GIVES A SHIT!! This is why they are CRIMINALS!!! Any law addition, modification, deletion will only affect those that are NOT CRIMINALS?
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:42:55 -0700, azwiley1 wrote:

exactly right. a fee or any other "gun control" measure will do absolutely nothing to remove the guns from criminal hands.
Chris
05 CTD

I do not need to add anything to the above ! I do not belong to the NRA, I have not hunted in 15 years, so I am no gun nut...But I think if one checks crime rates you will find that States that allow "carring" the crime rate is a hell of a lot less..
I Wish at least one Professor at VT was carring... Just an old mans opinion...
Bob G.

All of Lugnut's comments, plus for my self, I could put $250+ dollars to better use than the gov't. would.
Ken

What you and many others fail to understand is this: Legal gun owners ARE responsble gun owners. The guns are locked in safe locations, safety rules are followed, and caution is taken at all times.

I'm sure I'm already good friends with whomever would enforce this law locally. I'm also sure that my representitive and Senator to Harrisburg will both vote against this silly law.
--
Max

lost
This is an assumption that you simply cannot back up because it simply isn't true. While you may in fact be this way, many others are not. Even Miles seems to think that as long as the gun is on his property, that is all of the responsibility required and it may as well be hanging from the key ring by the front door.

will
It's good to have friends in the right places.

TBone wrote: Even Miles

Where the heck did that come from? I'd appreciate you not attempting to quote me without a quote, especially when it's counter to my own views.

What, you don't hang it on a hook when you come home, like they did back in the great ole Tombstone days? Shame Shame! :)
azwiley1 wrote:

lol! I put mine under the doormat so I can find it easy.