FINALLY!!!! a good decision

What you and many others fail to understand is this: Legal gun owners ARE responsble gun owners. The guns are locked in safe locations, safety rules are followed, and caution is taken at all times.

I'm sure I'm already good friends with whomever would enforce this law locally. I'm also sure that my representitive and Senator to Harrisburg will both vote against this silly law.

Reply to
Max Dodge

This is an assumption that you simply cannot back up because it simply isn't true. While you may in fact be this way, many others are not. Even Miles seems to think that as long as the gun is on his property, that is all of the responsibility required and it may as well be hanging from the key ring by the front door.

It's good to have friends in the right places.

Reply to
TBone

Outlawing guns simply does not work but creating gun control laws focusing on gun responsibility can.

Only an idiot or someone desperate would target a house where people were home so for the average criminal, gun ownership means nothing as nobody would be home to use it anyway. As for the desperate ones, they will simply carry a gun of their own and use it first if possible and in that case, gun ownership increases the level of violence.

Reply to
TBone

Now this is just being silly. A gun is a weapon any way you want to spin it and as Max said, it can project way past your property line. If you are going to own something that's primary purpose is to kill, then you should damn well know how to use it and use it properly.

Reply to
TBone

These laws already exist Tom. I don't know about where you live, but I know where I do, when I buy a fire arm, the info (make, model, sn, et all) is recorded and reported. If said fire arm is stolen or lost and some one gets killed with it, it is MY ass on the line (assuming I did not report it lost or stolen). So, this being the case, as I know it to be in numerous but not all states, what more do you think or feel could be done?

So, you are saying that my home would not/could not be targeted or hit when some one is home? How is some one to know if some one is or not, unless they are casing it? When I leave to go to work, my wife and step son are home, we only have one vehicle, which I have, she likes to keep the drapes closed. SO, at 645am when I leave, there is no vehicle in the car port and you are not casing it, do you know if anyone is here or not, so you can "think" about hitting it?

Some meth head is feening for a hit, gets confused at midnight and breaks into the wrong house, your house because it is near a meth house. Opps sorry, didn't mean to kill you Mr. and Mrs. wrong person, I though this was a meth house.

Tom, you really amaze me with some of the shit you say at times. A petty thug will not LIKELY hit an occupied house, but that doesn't mean it doesn't and can't happen. It does..

Reply to
azwiley1

Ok, here is one for you all. We all know that each state holds their own laws for buying, owning and carrying hand guns, example, I can buy, own and carry in AZ with out a permit, a cool off period, etc. I can not however even transport into NY said hand gun in ANY manner as I do not own a NY issued permit or a federal trades permit.

What would you all feel if some one were to suggest a more "even" federal law on this issue? Such as a federally issued permit goo ANYWHERE in the US? Required renewal every few years? A manditory and renewable hand gun safety course?

Reply to
azwiley1

A problem we have in my neck of the woods is home invasion. They tend to come in shooting. I lived in a neighborhood about 20 years ago where it happened to my neighbor one evening when the owner was obviously home watching TV. My neighbor won the gunfight and survived to go thru hell for a while. Meanwhile, I put my own home up for sale to get the hell out and had it happen to me before I could get out - not exchange of gunfire in my case as they got the drop on me. A couple of weeks later, burglars took the rest of what I owned making the moving van unnecessary. Nowadays, I keep most of the firepower in the safe. Around the house, I keep a 12ga persuader and a G23 with 3 mags close by. The G23 goes where I go. If I see them coming, they better hope the dogs get them first - they aren't too aggressive unless you push them..

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

TBone wrote: Even Miles

Where the heck did that come from? I'd appreciate you not attempting to quote me without a quote, especially when it's counter to my own views.

Reply to
miles

We have countless gun laws already with more passed every year and yet you think its not enough? We don't need any more laws. Whats needed is enforcement of the ones we already have.

Reply to
miles

I thought AZ had a 2 week wait period with mandatory background check?

Reply to
miles

What, you don't hang it on a hook when you come home, like they did back in the great ole Tombstone days? Shame Shame! :)

Reply to
azwiley1

Maybe, I maybe wrong as when I bought my hand guns I was still in the Army. All I had to do was pick it out, show my mil id, a copy of my orders assigning me to an installation in the state and give them the money. I do seem to recall though some folks I worked with since I have been out buying and leaving with in the same day. I could be wrong..

Reply to
azwiley1

No waiting period in AZ - just the NICS requirement

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

That's what I thought, thanks T.L.

Reply to
azwiley1

Thank the Brady bunch... it was their website that confirmed it for me. Those Brady people are so helpful :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

We already had this conversation Miles and I think that Roy was involved as well. I said that part of obtaining a gun permit should be proof that you have a secure place for each gun that is owned and you complained about that saying that as long as it is in your house, that is all that should be required.

Reply to
TBone

Where did I say that MORE laws were needed? All I said was that they need to be directed toward responsibility of ownership rather than just restricting it. The problem with enforcing them is that it requires personnel and money and that equates to higher taxes.

Reply to
TBone

That would take away form the States ability to govern themselves.

Reply to
TBone

Not a thing but not every state is like that.

And how would they lnow if you or your wife even had a gun? The answer is that they wouldn't so what exactly is your point. If I am going to rob a house and guns are easy to get, then I'm damn sure going to make sure that I have one of my own and will have it ready when I break in and if I were to see either you or anyone else with one or looking like they are trying to get on, I would shoot first and steal later.

LOL, I think that they would know the difference and there would be no need to break into a meth house as they are always open and have pleanty of people around them and even if they did, why would they kill anyone???????? And if they were that desperate for a hit then do you really think that they will come in unarmed and try and kill you bare handed, LOL? At least get real with your examples.

So what if it does. Are you going to shoot them? Then you become the criminal, especially if this thug has friends because no it is up to you to prove that your life was in danger and if this thug was unarmed.... And if the thug is armed and sees a gun, do you not think that he will shoot you first. I am not saying that people should not have guns but thinking that gun ownership will prevent crimes is just pure ignorance.

Reply to
TBone

Then again, unless you keep your gun on your lap at all times, you will probably get killed before you ever get to use it.

Which points out that had you had the gun available, someone may have been killed and that someone could have been you which further proves my point that gun ownership does NOT reduce crime.

I can only hope that where you live now makes worrying about such things unnecessary.

Reply to
TBone