Fix or Cut Losses

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:11:13 -0400, NapalmHeart wrote:

if your going to separate the engine and trans its just a couple more plugs and hoses then the engine is totally out and much easier to work with. if your going that far you may as well pull her all the way out and hang it on a stand. much safer than hanging from the crane, i had one fall on my left hand because of a crane failure its not pleasant and i'd hate to hear about it happening to you, i was lucky it didn't totally destroy my hand but i still have pain 10 years later.
--
Chris
05 CTD
><snip>

I really appreciate your input and concern on the safety issue. This is turning into a far bigger project than I wanted to deal with right now. If I go this far, I'm tempted to go with a complete rebuild. It would cost more than I can really afford right now, but far less than the cost of replacing the truck. At least I know what the condition of the rest of the components are with what I've got.
Ken
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:08:06 -0400, NapalmHeart wrote:

you know a jasper re-man comes with a 3 year 75,000mile warr. or at least it did nearly 5 years ago when i got out of working on cars.
--
Chris
05 CTD
chris thompson wrote:

Sounds like you need to add a page from the GM book on the S Series. The little part about unbolting the front body mounts and spacing the body up a couple inches to work on it.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Update: Bought the daughter an '02 Malibu and have determined that the Dak motor is toast. Just from looking at 1 rod bearing I can see that approx. 200,000 was the life of this particular motor. Since I don't want another payment I'm looking to replace the engine. I figure that if I fix this truck I know what condition it's in from bumper to bumper. If I buy something else used, I may well be buying someone else's problems. New isn't even in the picture. Been working almost everyday. Wednesday was my 1st day off in 30, so things have moved slow.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Ken Olson Clarksville MI