Ford is nervous

Page 1 of 3
Autoblog comments http://snipurl.com/1jdu5
Ford sold 55,000 F Series last month. GM sold 44,000 and 12,000 and Dodge sold 36,000. Why does Ford feel sooooo threatened by Toyota to
routinely attack it? Tundra sales were 15,000 for April. Doesn't Ford know that the more it puts out commercials attacking a distant 4th place, the more credibility it gives the Tundra? I mean if the 2007 F150 is superior to the Tundra, then let the people decide. The only reason a number one attacks a number 4 is if they feel inferior. Also, Tundra can only wants to sell 200,000 this year.
Ford, as the king of trucks, look at yourself and improve, not dis others. Unless you are afraid. =========Never underestimate the competition, specially if it comes from the East. Ford did it when they had the sales king, aka Taurus http://snipurl.com/adios_Taurus and look what happened... =========All Ford does is talk about others. Pathetic. They just whine. Invest in the 4.6 and 5.4 first rather than on commercials. I am a Chevy guy and I hope Silverado puts the F-series to pasture. =========Dodge Ram for the young stud Chevy Silverado for the middleaged man GMC Sierra for the middleaged professional Ford F-Series = old man's truck Toyota Tundra for the educated and demanding person =========Rising Sun: http://snipurl.com/1jdu0
message

So then Toyota should stop their advertising?

I can't imagine two things: 1. a person watching commercials 2. a person basing a vehicle decision on safety ratings. what a bogus reason to buy a particular vehicle.
So, I agree, ford is wasting their time and money aiming the commercials at safety ratings. After all, broadside either the f-150 OR the tyota with a semi and they're both going to be junk and the driver dead.
--
Steve Barker

"George Orwell" <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote in
Steve Barker wrote:

TiVO rules! <G>

isnt that the truth! i wouldnt watch tv without it.
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

The ads are pathetic and I can't stand Ford or their products. Fords better ideas all suck just like their trucks... period. Triton engines are boat anchors, the v10 couldn't blow itself to hell if was cast in dynomite, and the 6.0 Navistar engine they've been putting in their trucks is a fuel injector eating pile of camel dungh.
I hope Toyota kicks their sorry asses even if the Tundra is the ugliest truck on the market next to a Chevy.

Ford's running out of BETTER ideas. look at their latest and greatest.. the tailgate step with ultra cheezy grab handle for little people who can't step high enough to get into the bed.

demand will come when it's parts replacement time and the parts are still floatings around the pacific on a barge.

-
Screw that nonsense, who cares about the competition when you've just been served a $2,000,000,000 lawsuit by the supplier of the engines that make your F250/F350 products the top sellers that they are.
hmmm.... 2 billion lawsuit n one hand, Toyota competion on the other........
Anyone got a beer for these flames?
--
Max

They got no chance in hell of winning that law suit as the engines they sent Ford were a bunch of worthless paper weights that only hurt Fords reputation. Sorry to burst your bubble Max, but it was not that POS diesel engine that made Ford the top seller that it is like Cummins did to keep Dodge in the game at all. As for Toyota, I think that once again Dodge has far more to fear than Ford with the changes that they have made.

"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

Sadly, you are misguided on this. Navistar is suing because of breach of contract, not because of anything else. When Ford bought the engines, they agreed to pay for them. Ford did not follow through on this properly. Second, the engines being junk is in question, as Navistar feels that Ford was at fault in the ECM problems. As such, we the public will have to wait and see what happens. Third, part of Navistars contention is that Ford knowingly broke the contract by designing a replacement diesel far ahead of schedule. This has been reported in several newspapers, along with info stating that Ford is planning to drop the Navistar engine at least two years ealier than the contract calls for.
Second, the Diesel option in the F250/350 was in fact what made it a top contender. You may be mistaking the #1 status of the F150 as part of the heavy truck sales; it is not. Ford staked its sales on the PSD reputation, as built on the T444E. Sadly, the next generation failed to live up to the name. It was mentioned in several wire reports that Ford sales would be drastically affected because the majority of the F250/350 trucks were leaving the factory with the PSD.
Thus, unless the lawsuits (there are more than one pending on this issue between those companies) fall totally Ford's direction, Ford will take a tremendous hit financially.
As to Toyota, whenever a new product enters the market, typically the best seller takes the hit. In this case, the Toyota offering wouldn't make a dent in the heavy pickup market, since Toyota doesn't offer one. Secondly, the dent to the sales of the "big three" would not be in the billions of dollars, as the Navistar lawsuit might be.
As such, when comparing the impact of the Tundra to Ford's finacial future, versus that of a $2billion lawsuit, I think the lawsuit has more potential impact, without question. Thus, I again say, Ford's worries aren't with Toyota, but with Navistar.
--
Max

The whole situation is a big mess and interconnected. Ford claims that the reason they were witholding payments was because Navistar was in breach of *their* contractual obligation to absorb some of the warranty repair costs associated with the 6.0L engine.
RCE

Precisely. Thus, the claim that Navistar has nothing and the suit will fall apart is a bit short sighted. If it were that easy to come to a decision, certainly Navistar and its lawyers would not have filed papers to begin with. What signifies this action as solidly based and a huge threat to Ford is the dollar amount. A supplier such as Navistar doesn't "bite the hand that feeds it" simply because it seems like the "thing to do". Navistar's reputation and financial status may well be on the line here, and they undoubtedly feel its worth taking action.
The real point is, Ford is on shakey ground to begin with, now a $2b lawsuit will at very least sap their cash reserves, let alone the effects of an adverse judgement.
Next point is, Toyota isn't the threat to domestic truck sales that was foreseen, mostly because of the recent jump in fuel costs. However, Toyota has a habit of aiming at the top. Currently, the top 1/2 ton pickup is the F150. So far, Toyota hasn't put a serious dent in those sales.
--
Max

I think the $2B "lawsuit" is nothing more than to catch Ford's attention and attempt to force Ford to honor existing engine contracts. From what I've read, it is based on Navistar's opinion that Ford is moving forward with plans to design and build their own diesel engine rather than continue to purchase them from Navistar. Apparently there is a contract clause that prohibits Ford from doing so until after 2012. It will get tanglefooted because I am sure that Ford, being solely dependent on Navistar, insisted on having certain performance related obligations imposed on Navistar as well.
Eisboch

Certainly its an attention-getter. But in the corporate world, "frivolous lawsuits" aren't the method of operation. Clearly (again) Navistar feels its got good ground to stand on for the dollar figure.
--
Max

I am not sure who is in the right here. IH used to make some of the finest deisels out there and the 7.3 was great motor but the 6.0 caused Ford a lot of grief and tarnished their reputation. They both have issues that are going to take some time to sort out in court and in the mean time Ford saves so working cash while this is being resolved. The 6.0 should have never been made I think. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

I went to IH training school last summer. they claimed then that the 6.0 is being phazed out for the problems they have had with it. they also said they would be replacing the 6.0 with a V6 diesel which they have been stuffing under the cab of those new cabovers they're building and also rebaging for Ford.

the only engine IH EVER made that was worth its grit was the DT466 and DT530. The DT570 just recently came out and wasn't without its own share of problems. I've relplaced dozens of egr coolers on them. The 6.9 was a boat anchor and the 7.3 wasn't much better except it has a turbo.
All V configuration diesels are JUNK... take note of the fact that over the road big trucks use inline engines and not V8s.

a little over two years ago I was employed by Ford, then they sold the truck leasing division I was employed with and left all of us high and dry and sold out to another truck leasing company. My retirement funds went out the window with the sale of the leasing company. I hope Ford motors falls off the face of the planet and is buried under a heap of its own overrated cheap ass trucks.

the 6.0 is an injector eating boat mooring.

That would be a incorrect statement imo. Perhaps in the truck/automotive application there have been a few problem. The V design on diesels has been used many years with success.

6.5 Gm.. junk. 6.9 Navi/Ford.. junk. 7.3 Navi/Ford a better engine but still overrated in its function.. carry a few spare cans of starting fluid for those cold months.. they're cantancuous by their own nature for having to rely on glowplugs. The Duramax (not to be confused with the inline 6 Isuzu engine now being called a Duramax in GM medium duty trucks) is proving that it also has an appetite for glowplugs and has been cursed with overheating problems. I don't know enough about the Duramax to make all that many comments about it except for experience of a few friends and my brothers oldest son who owned a GMC that GMC brought back from him after his Duramax decided to suck the tips out of the glowplugs. The 6.5 Chevy/Gmc was the biggest POS of them all and nothing more than a converted Olds Even in its latest form and after GM convinced the public that it was a diesel from the ground up. they still plugged the distributor hole with a leaky rubber plug and never removed the casting for the fuel pump mount... its another part of dismal automotive history right up there with the Vega and Corvair.
Personally, if I had the need for a pickup powered with a diesel, and the option, I'd go with an inline 6 Cat powered pickup. NOTHING runs like a Cat.
the 3208 Cat.. JUNK.
-

Except a Cummins. Sad part is, Cat doesn't have an inline six small enough to fit a pickup.
The GM 6.2/6.5 was a new diesel, and was not a reworked Olds casting. The Olds casting was capable of 5.7l/350cid. Despite this, the 6.2/6.5 was junk, having massive head problems. The 7.3/T444 Navistar was actually a decent engine, but not on the level of Cat or Cummins, or even the DT466. The Duramax 6.6 V8 has aluminum heads, which should be a major factor in deciding against buying it. The Cat 3208 has long been noted as a disposable diesel.
--
Max

Gentlemen, I am happily subscribed to the Chevy truck groups. I care not a wit what Ford, Dodge, or Toyota did or does with or to their trucks. Please refrain from cross-posting to the Chevy Truck groups. Thanks Regards, JR

Then my suggestion would be not to read it or are you the new use net nanny?