Ford is nervous

That would be a incorrect statement imo. Perhaps in the truck/automotive application there have been a few problem. The V design on diesels has been used many years with success.

Reply to
Roy

6.5 Gm.. junk. 6.9 Navi/Ford.. junk. 7.3 Navi/Ford a better engine but still overrated in its function.. carry a few spare cans of starting fluid for those cold months.. they're cantancuous by their own nature for having to rely on glowplugs. The Duramax (not to be confused with the inline 6 Isuzu engine now being called a Duramax in GM medium duty trucks) is proving that it also has an appetite for glowplugs and has been cursed with overheating problems. I don't know enough about the Duramax to make all that many comments about it except for experience of a few friends and my brothers oldest son who owned a GMC that GMC brought back from him after his Duramax decided to suck the tips out of the glowplugs. The 6.5 Chevy/Gmc was the biggest POS of them all and nothing more than a converted Olds Even in its latest form and after GM convinced the public that it was a diesel from the ground up. they still plugged the distributor hole with a leaky rubber plug and never removed the casting for the fuel pump mount... its another part of dismal automotive history right up there with the Vega and Corvair.

Personally, if I had the need for a pickup powered with a diesel, and the option, I'd go with an inline 6 Cat powered pickup. NOTHING runs like a Cat.

the 3208 Cat.. JUNK.

Reply to
Roger Rabbid

Except a Cummins. Sad part is, Cat doesn't have an inline six small enough to fit a pickup.

The GM 6.2/6.5 was a new diesel, and was not a reworked Olds casting. The Olds casting was capable of 5.7l/350cid. Despite this, the 6.2/6.5 was junk, having massive head problems. The 7.3/T444 Navistar was actually a decent engine, but not on the level of Cat or Cummins, or even the DT466. The Duramax 6.6 V8 has aluminum heads, which should be a major factor in deciding against buying it. The Cat 3208 has long been noted as a disposable diesel.

Reply to
Max Dodge