Freeze Plugs or Core Plugs

Page 3 of 3
Ya got me. :-O
Just goes to prove that one Swallow, does not a Summer make!
Anyone seen Snoman?? LOL Probably soldering up radiators.
Dave
Mike Simmons wrote:

At a 50-50 mix freeze protection is -34F, and boilover protection is at +265F. At 70:30 freeze protection is at -84F and boilover protection is at 276F. Hence there may be no added anti corrosion benefits, but in *either* very hot or very cold weather there is significant advantage to maintaining a maximum antifreeze to water mixture.
Note that the 70-30 mix is indeed the maximum, and going higher will in fact reduce the freeze protection. (Or, it will with ethylene glycol based anti freeze. But that is not true of propylene glycol antifreeze.)

Actually, he is precisely correct... and so are *all* of the sites listed below! There actually is no conflict!
(There's trick to it, though...)

UAF people definitely know, and no there is absolutely *no* controversy!
(I lived near Fairbanks for two decades, and saw -70F there, and didn't consider -60F to be "odd". Rest assured that the _average_ mechanic in Fairbanks knows more about antifreeze than most folks ever begin to imagine!)

Heh heh, want to know what the trick is?
The "coolant" being talked about can be either of two things, 1) is the "antifreeze" as it comes out of the jug you buy, or 2) the actual ethylene glycol "antifreeze" that is the ingredient which provides freeze protection. 70% for the first, and 60% for the second.
The "coolant" you poor out of the jug is not 100% ethylene glycol because it has all those corrosion inhibitors added. If that liquid is mixed 70:30 with water, what you will get is a 60:40 glycol water mix.
Confusing to say the least, but in either case what they are referencing is a 60:40 ethylene glycol mixture by weight.
--
Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) snipped-for-privacy@apaflo.com
aarcuda69062 wrote:

I am very appreciative of all your time and responses, but the logic about the maintenance does not make sense.
As stated above, it was not 2 years yet between the two leak occurrences (March 2005 to August 2006 = 17 months).
It also has not been 24,000 miles yet between the 2 leak occurrences (42,000 miles and 64,000 miles = 22,000 miles).
Even if I brought the SUV in to the dealer earlier to replace the coolant, the corrosion already took place prior to the maintenance cycles. Both leak problems occurred before each of the recommended maintenance cycles. If I had the opportunity, I would have brought the truck in for maintenance, but it leaked first prior to both maintenance cycles.
I can give you guys more background on this if needed. I am interested in keeping my Durango a long time so I am looking for a long term solution.

Do you flush your cooling system every two years/24,000 miles?
Tom Lawrence wrote:

I am very appreciative of all your time and responses, but the logic about the maintenance does not make sense.
As stated above, it was not 2 years yet between the two leak occurrences (March 2005 to August 2006 = 17 months).
It also has not been 24,000 miles yet between the 2 leak occurrences (42,000 miles and 64,000 miles = 22,000 miles).
Even if I brought the SUV in to the dealer earlier to replace the coolant, the corrosion already took place prior to the maintenance cycles. Both leak problems occurred before each of the recommended maintenance cycles. If I had the opportunity, I would have brought the truck in for maintenance, but it leaked first prior to both maintenance cycles.
I can give you guys more background on this if needed. I am interested in keeping my Durango a long time so I am looking for a long term solution.

You bought the truck (or someone did - maybe you bought it used) in 2000. The first leak occurred in 2005. Was there any cooling system maintenance performed between 2000 and 2005?
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Hello Tom: I bought it in Oct 2002 on the dealer's lot. It had less than 15K miles on it. Yes the 1st leak occurred in Mar 2005 at 42K.

because it was only 3 1/2 years and at 42K miles. I do not know for sure about the coolant from 2000 to 2002 when the dealer had the truck on the lot. Maybe I should have asked. But, if the dealer never changed it either, then the coolant would have been in the truck for over 5 years!!! Oh my! But, still, why did it happen again a second time right now at 64,000 mi on Aug 29 2006? I hope this make sense.
JS

Yep. Not good for any coolant (IMO), but especially not the green stuff...

Because the damage was done already. Even if the new coolant stopped the corrosion on that core plug, the heat/cool cycles on an already-corroded plug will eventually wear it out.
If I were you, I'd replace all the core plugs, but first I'd do a THOROUGH cooling system flush (I suspect that when the first plug was changed, they simply dropped the coolant and replenished it). This will help to clean out all the crud that I'm sure is floating around the coolant passages. As far as replacing the rest of the plugs, if two failed - you can expect more.
It's a hard lesson to learn, but this is why people stress regular coolant flush/changes.... even on the supposed 5-year, 100,000 mile coolant. While the new coolant does hold up longer, I'm not willing to believe it lasts that long. I just flushed mine ('03 CTD) at 60K, and the flush water came out nice and clean the first time - but still, piece of mind is worth a couple of dollars in coolant, and some time.

Amen Tom!
I too have an '03 CTD and even though it has the 5 year/100K HOAT coolant I will be changing mine shortly too at 60K miles. In frequent cooling system service can be expensive to repair and as you surmised, I suspect there was still a lot of residual corrosion in the OP's cooling system which caused the 2nd failure so soon.
I probably see two or three vehicles a week with premature cooling system failures and sadly, this problem can be easily and cheaply avoided.
Mike .

Mike Simmons wrote:

Thank you all! I now have a good picture on what occurred: It's not just the mileage...it's the time as well that's equally important.
Even though my truck was at 42K miles it was also 5 years old without a coolant flush. If the dealer never changed the coolant when I bought it in Oct 2002 with 15K miles and I never did a coolant flush until the core plugs failed in Mar 2005 at 42K miles, then it was way overdue by the TIME factor. I will take it to get flushed more often (maybe every 6 months) to be sure the cooling system is clean. Now, I worry about my radiator. -JS
JoeySamone wrote:

Response to All: After reading your responses, I thank you all! I now have a good picture on what occurred: It's not just the mileage...it's the time as well that's equally important.
Even though my truck was at 42K miles it was also 5 years old without a coolant flush. If the dealer never changed the coolant when I bought it in Oct 2002 with 15K miles and I never did a coolant flush until the core plugs failed in Mar 2005 at 42K miles, then it was way overdue by the TIME factor. I will take it to get flushed more often (maybe every 6 months) to be sure the cooling system is clean. Now, I worry about my radiator.
As for the mix, I just use the recommended by the manufacturer. If they are wrong shame on them and they will be hurting all their customers and their revenue stream $$$$$. BTW: I live in San Antonio TX, it's very hot but not many cold days below 32 F.
-JS
Hello everyone I found another post on dodgetalk.com on what else could be the problem. Check this out.
...and I quote:
'99 Durango (@48K miles) with 3 leaking freeze plugs within a week of my dealer replacing my water pump, thermostat, and gaskets, because of a leak at the thermostat housing and pump (?). Now, back at the dealership service department, one service person mentioned that Chrysler had a bad batch of freeze plugs, and that probably explains my plugs going bad so soon. Another person at the same dealer said that some of the Durangos were assembled in Mexico and that the water that was used in the cooling system when the vehicles left the plant for the U.S. was bad. Needless to say, now I hear that my extended warranty does not cover freeze plugs, that the tranny has to come out, and that I'm looking at about $1K minimum on the repair. Anyone else run into this situation so early in the life of a Durango V8? Is it chronic to the model, or just my vehicle that is going south, taking my wallet with it?