Front Bumper Replacement 03 Ram

ARHHGGG!!!! I scratched up the front bumber on my '03 Ram 1500. Truck has the Sport Appearance Package with color matched bumber with driving lights. Cannot repair the lower part of the bumber (lower spoiler); due to it's texture the body shop cannot match it. Insurance company wants to replace with aftermarket bumper. Asking for recommendations or advise as to the best aftermarket bumper. Or should I get one of those bumber covers like the ones I've seen in the Styling Concepts Catalog? Any suggestions and/or opinions will be appreciated.

Randy '03 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Reg Cab/Short Box HEMI

20" Wheels......... My Sport Truck
Reply to
Randy E Schaben

Who is your insurer? Read your policy. Generally an insurance company MUST restore your vehicle to pre-accident condition which means using factory parts. In order for them not to your policy must state clearly that the use of non-factory parts can be done.

Reply to
miles

I don't know what insurance company you are using but just about every policy I have read allows for the use of aftermarket parts provided they meet or exceed factory specifications.

Reply to
TBone

Specifications often have little to do with quality.

I've used Farmers, State Farm, Trans America and Allstate. All can use aftermarket parts only with owners permission at least on my policies.

State Farm and Allstate were both sued and lost for insisting on generic parts several years ago. Insurers must restore a vehicle to pre-accident condition and generic parts can't do that.

October 1999 An Illinois jury found State Farm liable for $456 million in damages and an additional $730 million in punitive damages, bringing the total awards in the case to $1.19 billion. State Farm has suspended specification of generic parts on estimates. The case involved policyholders in Illinois who claimed that the insurer calculates auto repair estimates using the price of generic crash parts, which are usually less expensive and that these parts do not restore the vehicle to its original pre-crash condition. Plaintiff's lawyers had argued that the uniformity of State Farm's claims settlement practices merited the inclusion of all policyholders whose vehicles were repaired by State Farm. The decision therefore paved the way for national class action suit potentially covering 5 million policyholders and involving claims valued at more than $2 billion.

Reply to
miles

Progessive Insurance Policy does have it in the policy that they will only pay for aftermarket parts if they are available. The body shop manager told me this when I wanted an estimate. He wouldn't do the estimate because Progessive sends out their own adjuster who writes up an estimate based on aftermarket parts.

I think I may be looking for a new insurance company. This will be the first claim I've made in years and the very first claim with Progessive. I guess there is a reason why their insurance cost less than the other companies I checked with.

Any advice on quality aftermarket bumpers will be appreciated.

Randy '03 Ram 1500 SLT HEMI Reg Cab/Short Box

Reply to
Randy E Schaben

As sad as this sounds, it tends to be the truth.

The problem is that IIRC, that is only the case when you claim against your collision. The other insurance company can use whatever their policy says. My wife's car was involved is two accidents within three minutes of each other (yea, that was a fun evening) and since neither was our fault, the other persons insurance companies made the repairs and both of the other insurance companies had after market parts to be used provided they met or exceeded factory specs and the body shop guaranteed their work for life (whatever that means). I must say, the car looks great and this body shop is as busy as hell so I doubt that they will be going out of business anytime soon.

Damn, I guess that might be why even thought the companies that repaired my wife's car allowed the use of aftermarket parts, they all seemed to be up to the job as far as fit and finish. I guess that I was lucky that the accident occurred after this decision and the insurance companies are a bit paranoid.

Reply to
TBone

Not all aftermarket parts are bad. Find a body shop that will guarantee their work and use parts at or above factory specifications this way, if the parts don't look right or hold up as expected, you can make them redo the work. Most good body shops have a reputation that they like to maintain and don't like redoing work so they use the best parts that they can within the insurance companies specifications. It is either that or buy a factory replacement part (if still available) and give it to the body shop to paint.

Reply to
TBone

it,s your truck you pay the insurance make them put new back on they work for you .you pay there salary .thats your right as the customer

Reply to
dodge50